how to flatten the uneven ground?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by diyrick, Feb 26, 2006.

1. diyrick

diyrick LawnSite Member

I hope this is the right place for me to post this questions.

I am a beginner on landscaping subject and welcome any advice or suggestions from anyone with more experience.

My first project (Fence installation) I'd just competed as you can see in the enclosed pictures. Still have a lot of backyard projects need attending to and am planning to DIY (Do It Myself) if I can.

Next project is building a cobblestone-style pathway from the garage driveway to the backyard by using QUIKRETE WALK MAKER mold. Hopefully 20 bag of 80Lbs concrete is good enough to cover up that area.

My backyard ground is not level. I want to flatten the uneven ground before deciding what to do later. Currently,there's a lot of raised bumps and dips and I'm wondering if anyone can provide me with simple instructions on how to level out the soil? Should I wet the soil first by using a rake , spade or shovel? What other necessary tools should I get?

Regarding the uneven backyard as you can see more clearly in the pictures, I am thinking of renting a roto tiller from Home Depot to level out the soil.

I would like to hear more of your suggestions. Thanks again for all your help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

2. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

If it would have been me i would have did the yard first before the fence. Looks like you need some dirt. A tiller will be good! but its going to beat you up that ground is probably going to be real hard (Good luck!)

3. diyrick

diyrick LawnSite Member

Currently, the entire yard soil is few inchs higher than the concrete deck platform if you look at second picture . Which mean I need to move a lot of soil in order to keep the ground level.

I was thinking rent a roto tiller from Home Depot excavate the uneven ground and dump all the soil into the slope on the left side of the deck as you can see in the second picture.Then take my garden rake and leveling it out.

Any better suggestions ?

Thanks

4. down size

down size LawnSite Member
    from indiana

by the looks of picture 3 you need dirt there too! the tiller is about the only way an alot of work. A new costruction will be realy hard atleast in this area it is. In picture 2 is that hole a down spout? if so I would put in a pop-up so it doesn't wash out anymore. home depot will have them about $5.00 each

5. diyrick

diyrick LawnSite Member

That hole in is not a down spout. I am posting 3 more photos of my yard.
    [​IMG]

Slope area where I plan to dump all soil
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

pick and shovel, pick and shovel. i have a tiller and never use it i can pick and shovel faster than i can start a tiller then shovel. that area is pretty small i would say just get a good matoc and shovel and go for it !!!

7. diyrick

diyrick LawnSite Member

hi gammon,

Thanks for your advice. I like your suggestion the best because pick and shovel is exactly what I was thinking about to do. Maybe start digging this weekend. Thanks!

8. valala283

valala283 LawnSite Member

Would pick and shoveling be a smart choice for an area of 120ft x 60ft? Or should I try a tiller or something else?