1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to gain 150 account in one season?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HazellLawnCare, Jan 4, 2007.

1. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to expand into a different location and would like to gain 150 accounts by the 1st of April. Before everyone slams me that I can't handle an increase of that nature I am sure I have the necessary office staff and finances for the increase. I am wondering if send out 20,000 postcards will do the job? Any recommendations? I have a large ad going in the next yellow pages but it won't be delivered until July. What I am wanting to know is if it is possible with this number postcards and a very nice newspaper add? I have already began soliciting commercial accounts and have picked up several of them. I am wanting to know more about residential accounts.
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Send out lots of mailers & lots of door flyers. Not sure on #'s but put out as many as you can afford. I'd do it the first week or February & the second week of March.
  3. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I'd mail out 20k post cards every 3 weeks until you get that 150 accounts! Starting right now.
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Have you used this mailing before? If so what was your success rate? Most advertisements get about a 1-2% return. So if your mailing works you should be on target with 20,000. Although there are other factors. 2 years ago I ran an add (newspaper insert) that had brought me very good returns in the past 3-5% the day it came out we had a huge snowstorm, I got 2 calls from 20,000 adds, only 1 signed up.:cry:
  5. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

I see 2 ways to achieve your goal:

1. Really smart advertising that grabs attention and distinguishes you in the marketplace. Not stuff that looks like everybody else's stuff.

2. Purchasing existing lawn services. You can go through classified newspaper ads from last spring and see if anybody is quitting.

Since you are looking to make a large advertising expense, it is worth it to find a real pro to design the campaign. I think it is do-able.
  6. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Its's going to be hard, but every area is different tho. It took me 2yrs to get 60 nice, good paying accounts with little advertisement just did good work and word of mouth. Well good luck to you, come help me get 150 accounts if you get yours before April because I would love to have that many accounts. Good Luck!
  7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

getting accounts is a numbers game

Try this:

1500 door knocks= 10-15 customers

15,000 postcards sent 3 times equal= 40-50 customers

refferals from exisitng customers= unknown due to not knowing how many customers you currently have.

General new buisness= for small Lco 6-10 customer per year

Yellow pages= 3 new customers

5000 Flyers/door hangers= 10-20 customers

employee contest= 5 new lawns 1 Per employee

do all this in one area and you will have your accounts.
  8. gqnine44

gqnine44 LawnSite Senior Member

What do you do for an employee contest?
  9. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

If your putting that ad in the yellow pages it wont help you out this spring. Your not going to get the number of calls you expect from that ad until spring of 08. Seems like a waste of money unless your able to pick up customers in July and August.
  10. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I mail out 30K to 50K a year.
    They are half sheets , printed by local for $800 for 30K.