how to gain accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by backtobasicslawncare, Feb 14, 2007.

1. backtobasicslawncare

backtobasicslawncare LawnSite Member
    from TN

I Was Wondering How To Gain Accounts. I Have Passed Out Flyers And Business Cards. But This Guy Wants Me To Form A Partnership. Where I Go Out And Do His Jobs And I Get Paid. How Does That Work Mostley??
    Have A Great Day,
    Michael

2. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

He wants to form a "Partnership" with you .... or he was to subcontract his work to you? Big differences here ...

A Partnership ... he is part owner in the company you have started. Unless you have agreements (in writing) stating otherwise, he will own have of all of the equipment the company has. He will have a say-so in all of your business decisions, dealings, and profits.

Now if he is just hiring you to mow the properties he finds as customers ... then he is just paying you to mow the lawns ... and he is paying you less then he is charging the customer. Now if he wants to pay you what you want to mow the property, that could be a different story.

Me .. personally .. I would stay away from this unless you truly want a partner. In this case, I would make sure he has a financial investment in the company as well. If not ... you have everything to lose, and he has everything to gain.

3. backtobasicslawncare

from TN

he just hired me to cut his lawns and that he will pay me but i still own my company and i still have three lawns.i started out list year and low budget.

4. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

you should not go into it if he has lawns to cut just do them for what you think there worth.sounds like he wants you to do them for his price, be firm

5. Robert S

Robert S LawnSite Member
    from tx

if hes finding the jobs i wouldnt give him more than 15%

6. backtobasicslawncare

from TN

thanks for the advice and information. :usflag:

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, that partner of yours just wants to run a business while skirting all the responsibilities when anything doesn't go exactly as planned.
    You will be the one taking up the slack for his errors, he will do all the easy work, and you finance the whole plot...

You tell folks like that, if they want to run a business they need to build it themselves (and not ask you to let them run yours).
    I suspect, from my own experiences, you'll get this kind of come on or similar frequently for some time.
    The answer is real simple: Don't let others drive your boat, not even parts of it, especially not the easy parts, but really none of it.

If they insist or want to get argumentative, thank them for their time, turn around, walk away, and don't look back.