How to get 30-40 new accounts

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pickupman96, Mar 15, 2011.

1. pickupman96

pickupman96 LawnSite Member

I am looking to get 30-40 new accounts this year, I have 7500 postcard going out in the next week or two, a ad the size of two cards in the local paper for the next 3 months and a ad next to the newspaper name on the top of every web page for april and may. Do you guys think with that its possible or no.

2. aarons lawn

aarons lawn LawnSite Member

no most people that you send post cards to dont call you to mow there lawn ive tried that i sent 5k n got 3 lawns they want other stuff if u get 10 i think u did good

3. tradeyouraccounts

tradeyouraccounts Banned

Try networking with a non competitor maybe like a cleaning company or pest control company, Pool service company maybe you can network your'e services to each others clients. Its free and most people that use one service are likely to use another.

4. CLS LLC

CLS LLC LawnSite Senior Member

You'd have to put out closer to 40,000 flyers to get 30-40 lawn mowing customers. Like aarons lawn said alot of the calls will be for other things like aerations, dethatchings, fertilizations, weed control and the like. A realistic number for response rate on flyers is less than .5%. So out of your 7500 flyers you might get 30 calls. Of those 30 calls, 15 of them will be looking for services other than mowing. And of those 15 looking for mowing 7-8 will go with a different company (for any number of reasons). That's what I'm predicting at least.

These people who claim 1-2% response ratio's must be REALLY good at making a good looking flyer, because I've done my best to give a call to action and had mine professionally designed and have never seen results anywhere near that. I think a response ratio of .5% is pretty good.

Good luck to you, and get a website if you don't have one yet. It was by far the cheapest and most effective marketing I have done to date. But you have to make it nice and optimize it well for the search engines, otherwise it is worthless.

5. TheBetterDoorhanger

TheBetterDoorhanger Sponsor

Hi Lawnsite Members! Have you heard of our innovative Band-It Stick-It Door Hangers? They are a cost effective way to keep your advertisement on the door where it belongs & customers can even bring the ad inside & place it on the refrigerator instead of throwing it in the drawer with your competitors ads.

We have great start up specials on our innovative Door Hanger Band-It Stick-It® products and even offer free CUSTOM design services if you mention this forum post! (No hidden costs – talk to a live customer service rep – lots of Lawn & Landscaping designs to choose from as well as custom design services)

5,000 only $295 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
    2,500 only $189 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
    1,000 only $99
    FULL COLOR PRINTING & STICK-IT INCLUDED! - 4.25" x 11" - full color front, blank back, gloss cover stock

ALSO 9"x6" FULL COLOR POST CARDS (with Stick-It) mailed & postage included as low as $0.26 each.
    SEARCH Lawnsite for Adeas Printing & see what other members are saying about us and our products. TELL CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU READ ABOUT US ON A LAWNSITE FORUM & RECEIVE FREE CUSTOM DESIGN!!

www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers
    866 - 778-4254
    stickit@adeasprinting.com

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

NicholasMWhite is pretty much spot on....at least is what I would think. I did 10K flyers and picked up 7 accounts. I still have a few estimates out there that may come in before mowing starts. Just remember...if mowing is what you want, you need to market for THAT service. My flyers and signs were cleary designed to advertise for mowing and that is what I got the majority of my calls for. A few years ago I did a postcard campaign and received about a 1.7% response rate, but my postcard listed all my services and thats what I received calls on. I only pick up 4 mowing accounts.

7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Depending on the look of the cards and how well you screened your mailing list before hand you ought to get a 1-2 % hit ratio. I'm not going to give away marketing secrets especially cause your close by but were also doing 7000-8000 post cards and from past mailings we know that will generate 75 accounts plus.

Keep the cards simple and to the point if mowing and fertilizer is the core of your business then that's what you push. You don't want calls for bs services we got one every year it seemed for replacing a bush from plow damage though insurance hehehehehe yea no thank you next.

8. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya this year I sent out 2.5k post cards, better than last year which was 0. But I'm only offering services like aeration, dethatching, fertilizing, top dressing, over seeding etc. Hopefully I will get a bunch of calls.

9. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

9 years ago we did letters using something we bought from Sean at this site and actually saw 3-7% hit ratios. And when your first start out that's huge granted the letters promised the moon and got us some accounts we wished we never met. We had high end cotton paper an envelopes with our own letterhead on each and a business card in each. The point is you can get better the .5% this is one part of the business you need to put time into and get right. Advertising is probably about the only area left to us to save money these days iv shopped about everything else. So we don't just hap haphazardly do advertising we track what worked and what didn't.

10. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, but a lot of it has to do with timing and believe it or not weather.

I do mainly door to door sales, as for me, it has been proven to be the best, its free, a bit hard on the legs at the end of the day, but it pays off more than any other advertising I do.

The first nice sunny weekend of spring, when everyone is outside trying to figured out what to do with their lawn, and I pass on the street offering great services for their lawn, my rate is almost 25%. But those are just 1 time service and not anything like a mowing contract for the season.

But same scenario, same weekend, but it's raining or cloudy, everyone are inside watching tv, it's totally not the same. Probably more like a 5% on that weekend.