How to get 30 customers in 4 weeks

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daleman, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

Ok guys important question--
    I need a total of 30 customers this year to meet my financial needs. I currently have 1 customer. This is my plan to find 29 other accounts in the next 4 weeks before mowing season begins here in NW Indiana. Please submit any info on what you would do different or like about my plan.

This week distribute 500 door hangers (got the from nebs very professional looking)Going to target upper class homes.

Starting next week and continuing for the next 4 weeks I have a large ad appearing in our weekly community paper.

Next week putting flyers up in local grocery stores on there bulletin boards.

You guys think this will help me get 29 more accounts. The average yard size here is approx 1 acre. I am trying to get 40-50$ per acre.

2. Rob's Lawn Care

Rob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Texas

There is one important thing that you forgot. Pray to the good Lord, with him anything is possible. :)

3. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

The door to door flyer might be your best option. However, you may get 10-15 now and then the remainder by referrals after you do a good job on the first group.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm in the same position but want smaller lawns maybe around that same number of them. Lots of small lawns here. I just registered the name today and am going to get some insurance. Already have a nice website. Going to do fliers (more than I think I will need just in case I want to turn down some, thats easier than getting more work), newspaper ad in classifieds, call realty company(s), call commercial property owners, etc.
    I'll email you with an idea I have.
    Eric

5. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Keep putting out the door hangers. If you put out 100-200 a day for the next 30 days you will probably hit your target. You should get a 1% return rate at the very minimum.

6. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the info so far guys keep it coming-- BushHog me email is kroldawg@aol.com .

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Offer free lawn cutting to the 1st 29 customers. That should get those numbers you want pretty quick.:D

I think you need to heavily increase the number of flyers.

8. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Most advertising done by door hangers or mailers will only get you around 5% calls. Then it drops to about 1% of that 5% that will actually sign for your services.

I have done advertising in the past, and especially with my lawn biz and I know. These are the numbers. So as Hoss said you need to swamp the area with flyers. Everyday you need to be out there handing out, hanging on doors, giving them to everyone you see and meet.

And please do not hang anything on the mailbox. This is illegal and can cost you if the postmaster enforces this law.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Those 500 customers......don't just hit them once, hit them 4 times, a week apart. Hit them once with door hangers, then fliers, then mailers, then door hangers again. I am in the same boat as you, but only need about 20 customers.

MATT

10. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

1 ten dollar bill is = to but better than 2 five dollar bills is = to but better than 10 one dollar bills.

I personally think you should set financial GOALS...Who is to say you can't meet your financial needs with 20 customers. Please place your emphasis on dollars, not customers.

Maybe up your price a little to $60.00 to $70.00 an acre..

I am TRYING to get $40 -$50 per acre. Please don't do it for less than that.

Sorry......Just trying to help you...........