How to get a commercial contract ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shawnster, Mar 7, 2005.

1. shawnster

shawnster LawnSite Member

I have been in business for three years part time. I have all of my equipment fully payed for ext. my truck. I curently use all derby equipment. I have 1 61" commercial front cut 1 48" midcut ZT 1 32" walk behind also a Simplicity 27hp 4WD tractor w/loader and box blade a 16' enclosed trailer and a 6x10' dump trailer. I have most all the other small equipment and hand tools I think I need. However I have made the decision to quit my full time job and go full time with my business, but up untill now I have only done residential work and I would like to get into the commercial side of the business. Any information anyone could provide me with as to what I need to do to go about getting a commercial contract and what steps and procedures I will need to take would be most appreciated.

Thank You !

Shawn @ Family Landscape Company

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i picked up my first commercial by placing an ad in the yellowpages. once you get that first one it should be a breeze.

3. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

First and foremost make sure you have all insurance and licensing for your company. I agree with yellow pages but that can get expensive. I call and see if places are accepting bids and if they are set a time and meet with the person and submit your bid. I go lok at it the day before so I can get more familiar with the property and point out different things that may need to be done. Makes you look professional and knowledgable just by being a little prepared without spending too much time away from getting more work.

4. awillardandrews

awillardandrews LawnSite Member

I currently own commercial properties, and have owed them prior to this business. Here is how it works. Leave Flyers? I'll throw them away. Send a post card? I'll throw it away. Call and ask me if I would like an estimate? I'll say no. Cold Call, In PERSON.

5. shawnster

Hey Thanks a lot for the info. My brother was a foreman for a very large lawncare company years ago, and when I gave him the same question, that is the ansewer he gave me. He told me he always had the best results cold calling in person,but I will have to admitt I had my doubt's when we talked.
    I dont know why, but I will be sure to apologize to him and he has no idea I doubted him. I will be sure to put into effect.

Thanks A LOT

Shawn

6. cklands

cklands LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

I would suggest knocking on the door. Around here if you want the condos you have to get in with a prop management co. There are a few condos that go out on their own but most use a compnay to take care of all the bids. I usually bring along my laptop with pics of other props we take care of. Also has letters of recomendation to show them.

7. shawnster

That seems to be the order of the day. I really appreciate the help!