1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how to get a lawn mowing business going

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mattlmow, Mar 15, 2008.

1. mattlmow

mattlmow LawnSite Member

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i am a 13 yr old guy in NE and I have been doing my neighbor's lawn regularly for a few years. Although I like mowing for them I want to expand on my "business". I have passed out flyers for the past year and still no results. Do any of you have any comments or suggestions on how to get a business started? And PLEASE DON'T TELL ME I'M TOO YOUNG.
  2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Is your neighbor happy with their service from you? If they are, ask them to pass out some business cards for you. Do you attend church? If that is a good place to start too. You wont get customer overnight you have to work to get them.
  3. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

on the flyer tell em your 25 years of age and that you are licensed and insured and that you have 10 years in the business. Its all the same to them, because you are licensed and insured and all that essential stuff, besides being 25, so what's a little white lie...
  4. tyler_mott85

tyler_mott85 LawnSite Senior Member

I started my own thing about your age with just a couple family members. The best way I found work was to have my parents ask around their work. Once you get a handful of happy customers slowly but surely your business will travel by word of mouth. Its really hard to just jump in and be really busy in this business without a lot of money to make commercials with. Maybe make some Business cards and hand them out to EVERYONE you meet.
  5. greenleaf1

greenleaf1 LawnSite Member

put the word out with your friends and family members, pass out fliers, post a local add or two. just try to get a few jobs quickly and make sure to do a good job. word of mouth is the best form of advertising. good luck.
  6. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome neighbor. Work hard and they will come
  7. BravoMow

BravoMow LawnSite Member

i started at 15 pushing equipment up and down streets on top of two pushmowers. I wish i would have started sooner. you will do fine man. i used a polaris ranger at one point to transport stuff. don't give it up. its great money. you can probably almost make 15 bucks an hour if you work hard with what you got right now. good luck. post for more help if you need it
  8. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

how about enjoy your early teen years and don't worry about expanding your "business" to more then 4 lawns.
  9. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

Wow, you sound trustworthy. Why would you tell him to lie??
  10. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

i was being sarcastic