How to get accounts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TheKingNJ, Dec 27, 2003.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I'm just getting started this season and i was wonding what have most people found as the best way to get coustomers?

2. mowitup

mowitup LawnSite Member

ADVERTISE! Door to door flyers work great. I've only distributed about 300 flyers in three different neighborhoods and I've built enough customer base in three months to tide me over until mid February. Of course, word of mouth comes in to play. I wouldn't be that well off if my customers hadn't referred me. That's where great work from the start comes in to play!

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Advertise last year I had delay after delay so it cost me dearly and I mean dearly I didn't secure my trade name due to an incompetent lawyer till mid April it was May before I began to advertise and I was starting from scratch I still managed to bring in 10k my first month we spent like 3 k on direct mail that month and watched the results go from awesome to very poor as there is a short window to get clients before they hook up with some one else despite that we managed to get our list to 65 for the year and with what I learned from the news paper direct marking and the yellow pages I will hit 250 accounts this year all depends on you. How well written is your ad. We bought some letters for under a 100 dollars off one of these sites and they worked very well and then the next part is key how good are you at talking to the customers they aren’t buying a service they are buying YOU!! your hear all sorts of tips on estimates id say I'm 10-20 mins late on more then half of them yet I close nearly 95% of them I wear a pony tail and a goatee so it isn’t appearance its confidence and knowledge.

The next step after you get them is make them happy you will realize while you can tell a few real ******** to go to hell the time you take out of your life doing estimates and returning calls after you spent your money doing the advertising is not worth throwing away on simple disagreements and the more clients you keep happy the fewer estimates your need to do because that’s what this is really about the ad means nothing if you cant sell your self when you meet them.

Finally timing as I mentioned earlier is everything if your season begins in April you better be advertising 4-8 weeks prior and so forth don’t fall into I can put it off to tomorrow thinking you need to develop a plan and see it though weather you do flyers or buy lists off the internet and trust me it is nice to have every home worth 250k to 1 mill when the calls begin to come in but tailor your ad to the class of people upper middle class are not gona jump as quickly at a flyer so target your advertising to the class of people your going for in other words start thinking and spend a few weeks throwing some ideas back and forth and budget what you can spend and come up with a plan from that. Word of mouth is great but you wont have any for at least several months into the business so its not a source of new clients for some time.