How To Get Addresses for Direct Mailing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by barefootlawnsandlandscape, Dec 29, 2006.

1. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have searched this forum and have not found an answer to this question. For those of you who have done direct mail on your own how did you find the addresses and owners. I was wondering if there was a way to get this information for free. I want to target homes in a certain demographic, I have a good hunch I can go to the court house and get this information, but I need to know what office to go to and what to ask for. I also have thought about going to the neighborhoods I want to target and getting the address and looking them up on people finder, but this would take longer than I have time for. I don't want to buy this information as postage will be expensive. I am sending a personlized letter like Sean suggest in his package.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

3. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Major Tom,

Thanks for the info. That helps me out tremendously.

4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I went to the town halls of 3 local towns and bought the street listings books. for like $15 per book you get every person in town and there address. It also had other info like ages of everyone in house, voter registration, and occupation. If you can find a area in town you prefer to work in then you have all the names and address you need.

5. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with your county. Some have them listed on the county website. Here it is listed as the county GIS (geographical information system). You can zoom in on the property and get the owner names and mailing addresses. I drove around one day and wrote down the properties I would like to have, went to the county website and mailed a letter to all of those property owners.

6. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Im not shur of all the changes at the post offece. I use to print a lot of direct/bulk mail for mine and many other busniess. The post office have really tightend up on ther bulk mail requirment. I think the smallest you can do is 250 and they many have to be sorted by zip.And you have to file a form and get a permit and ther is a charge im told.

But I think the answer to your questionis in the 9 digit zip. We all know the first 5 numbers are for your state and city. I think the next 2 numbers are for the different divsion in a town and the last 2 are witch carrier bag/bags the peace go into.
    Some where you should be able to get the breakbown of the last 4 digits and what part of town they represent. Bulk mail to every one in the 62656-240x and 62656 -241x could well be evreyone within a subdivsion. But I dint think your looking for a true bulk mail mailing. (way to impersonal) But i think if you had this last four digit information may be mapquest.com, white pages.com type online directory might give you the compleat name adress of the groups by using the last four digits as a search peramiter.

Just my thoughts.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Glad I was able to help.
    Good luck, and let us know how your direct mailings worked out for you. :)

8. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Barefoot we used a address.com I think thats what it was If that doesnt work PM me and I will check into further. It work well for us. :waving:

9. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Jodi,
    How did it work out for you?, I didn't notice a follow up in the other thread.

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member