How to get an old contract back!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, Jun 20, 2009.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

I need some opinions. I have probably mentioned this before, but here goes again. I used to mow a 19 acre church in my hometown, which took me two years of pestering to acquire. I really cleaned the entire 19 acres up and had it looking great. The place was perfect for every Sunday because I always mow my churches on Friday or Saturday. I had the neighbor tell me that it had looked better than it had ever looked in the history of the church. I also loved mowing it because I could kick back on cruise control on my 72" and sail. I finally paid my mower off and had been maintaining the church for 4 years and then I got the dreaded letter. It stated that I had done a great job but they wanted to give it to a member of the church. He picked at it for a couple of years and then they hired a guy to mow and clean the church, as a package deal. He was all gung-ho last year mowing with two mowers every week but didn't do much with the shrubs. This year, he's doing less and less and it's starting to look like sh@#!!!!! It's really pissing me off that I had it looking good and he's fu@#ing it up. I told my wife just last year that he wouldn't be able to handle it, even with two mowers and here we are.:clapping::clapping:Here's my question:How do you get a contract back that is being done inhouse now? Do I say, "Man, this looks like sh@# and you need a professional to make it look good again!!!" It's obviously about money and it's hard to compete with that and I need to make money, but people are more money savvy than they were 10 years ago. They are starting to forego the 12 month contracts down here. I seem to only lose the good ones where I'm actually making money and get to keep the PITA customers where I'm losing my arse-go figure!!!!:hammerhead::hammerhead:

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Send the Church Board, Before and After pictures.
    Other than that, not much.

3. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

thats a good idea. good luck hopefully you get it back

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Join the church.

5. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

get a pistol permit! or just buy a gun! you will be able to get it back ! i am sure!

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think the problem here is that you take so much pride in your work that it's hard to let go,
    and that's certainly not a trait I would get rid of or look down upon.

But forget it, that account is more trouble than it's worth, bad enough when I get an account
    like that by coincidence, but I sure ain't going out of my way or chasing after it.
    Heck in ways they did you a favor, now it might not have been meant that way...

It's a darn shame, that's for sure, but if the folks in charge don't "see" it, it ain't worth it,
    I've talked to folks like these until I'm blue in the face and they'll nod their heads up and down
    and agree whole heartedly with me, then they turn right around and go back to proving that
    they first didn't hear a thing (or they didn't care and were only agreeing to be polite or to end
    the boring "lesson" as quickly as possible) and either way it's smack right back to the same old.

So speaking for myself, when this happens to me I respect their choice in the matter, and move on.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you want the contract back you're going to have to be cheaper than the guy that's doing it now. That is why they let you go and hired the other guy anyhow. Few people care about the quality of your work. Grass is just something they have to contend with and the cheaper they can get it done, the better.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Richard Martin. You are more concerned about the appearance than those responsible for the maintenance. Price is undoubtedly the bottom line -- as you learned when you lost the contract. This situation is more about price of service than anything else.

I expect we have all had customers take another avenue, and we cringe at what happens after we leave the property. I had one residential customer that I worked very hard to do a good job, despite his irresponsible fertilizing practices. He told me he was going to retire, and "get a rig just like yours, except with a seat." I had been using a 36" w/b on the property for years. His answer to "a rig just like yours, ..." was a Snapper rear engine rider. Ugh! That happened many years ago, and it taught me a lesson about how some people view my work, and what is really important to them. To this man, sitting on his Snapper, my exacting mowing patterns (often double cutting), my trimming and edging, my cleanup of the myrtle beds, ... all unimportant to him.

9. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

This is very true in some situations and it applies to X-girl friends too.

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I had a church that spent alot of $$$ to get it in shape and maintain....then 3 years later the $$$ was starting to run out and they wanted me to mow every other week....let the mulch go....prune shrubs once a year and no fert.....I told them people saw that lawn and associated it with my lawn care bizz and I couldnt do it.....they got some one cheaper that they could afford....mAybe they cant afford a good service anymore........bottum line....I would place a qoute on it but if they dont take it....try to get passed it....lawns come and go