How to get award winning design status?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Hardscaping, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Hardscaping

Hardscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering about this. I always see ads that say award winning designs.

How or where do you enter these competitions to get this status.

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Doing quality work is a start.....

3. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

It helps if you join your your local Nursery/Landscaping association and submit your designs and photos. These associations usually have competitions with different categories you can enter, ie. water features, walls, patios, etc....

I don't know to much about it but this should point you in the right direction.

Good luck......:drinkup:

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Take a home show for instance - they mayy have a "Best of Design" category.

Take a local magazine - they may hold a contest with different categories - Best Landscaper of Freemont CA.

It could be a local garden club holding some sort of contest.

Whether they give you a sticker or a big blue ribbon - CONGRATALATIONS! You've then become "an award winning company".

To go further - I.C.P.I. holds an annual contest.

5. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

^^What they said. Your local trade organization is probably the best first step, then local home and garden mags, and then if you want to come out swinging, you could look at the national mags.

Just one thing- if you win an award, don't keep referring to it fifteen years later if it's the only one you win. That's just sad, like a 40 year old constantly bragging about what an awesome high school quarterback he was. And yes, too many companies do this.

6. Hardscaping

Thank you guys for the help, i am going into a unilock cert course next week. Also when i am in there i will ask about the competions if they can tell me any for this area.
    I have had one of my designs in a garden show, for the waterloo area. They had a bunch of people going around taking pictures and what not. My work was mentioned in the Brochure and hand outs they had. Not the greatest accomplishment but i guess you always have to start somewhere.

There is no reason to be a rude a$$. I ask a legit question.

7. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Hey dave Al Bundy is the man lol!

8. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I was referring to an old boss- he still has design awards from '93 and earlier hanging in the lobby- and now I'll never be able to think of him the same way. Thanks!

9. Hardscaping

There is nothing wrong with holding on to awards as long as you have some more beside it on the wall. one for every year then it would be good to have them all on the wall. or in a showcase at the office or something. BUT 1993 that is a long time ago.

Just because someone won an award in 1993 doesn't mean anything now because design trends change. So unless i had more to go with it i wouldn't leave it there for more than 3 or 4 years.

10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

what does it matter the length of time?

if you win an award use it as an asset as long as you can.

winning awards unless it comes from a really prestigous will not net you many jobs though.

ie county fair best flower exhibit