How to get best lift from Toro W/B?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnmedicCC, May 24, 2005.

1. lawnmedicCC

lawnmedicCC LawnSite Member

I have a 36" Toro W/B that I love. Problem is I don't get much of a vacuum from it when picking up debris. I've heard of using hi-lift blades and gators... does this mean doubling up on each spindle?? Lend me your advice, please!!

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

You can try high lifts or gators. I run doubles (Gators over normal lifts or high lifts) and it has some pull on it!

3. lawnmedicCC

lawnmedicCC LawnSite Member

How is the mulching??

4. cgreen454

cgreen454 LawnSite Member

LawnmedicCC-

I have a 44" Toro WB and have lift issues as well. On aggressive lawns it often streaks and sometimes seems to leave more on the lawn than in the bag. Blades are sharp and deck is clean, same result. I just ordered up some high lift blades, hoping that they would help solve the issue. I think part of the problem is that the Toro doesn't mince the grass at all, the clippings are usually very long, and perhaps the clumps get too heavy for the SFS system to handle. For instance if I double mow, which seems to be inevitable on the aggressive lawns this time of year, the deck won't even pick up the large piles left behind from the first run. Small ones get sucked up, but the big ones are left for the blower. Makes for a tough Spring.

Using a mulching blade would help to mince the clippings, but I think you would lose air flow into the bag, and perhaps end up with an even bigger mess since mulching in the thick Spring conditions up here isn't an option.

Anyone else experience these issues? If so, any solutions?

5. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

The gators help. I side discharge and worst case work the clippings to the middle of the yard and catch with my 21" in 2 passes. Gators biggest help is in the fall on leaf clean ups. Go over turf 2 times side discharging, then put on the catcher and collect. I have done 7,000 SF of leafs and collected in one bag. They pulverize most of them. In wet conditions, try double highlifts. Gators seem to cause clumping.

6. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I use high lifts on my Toro wb. I get good vacuum and it cuts fine. In really thick grass I just have to go a little slower. That is why I have no bi-weekly accounts with this mower.