how to get better stripes out of my cub cadet enforcer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gatorfan903, Oct 24, 2008.

1. gatorfan903

gatorfan903 LawnSite Member

I have a cub cadet enforcer 54" and am having several problems and wondered if anyone had any solutions. The first problem comes with longer grass it seems to get bogged down easy and even in some short grass it will just skip over the long sprigs that stand up. Is this a blade problem or what. The second problem is laying down stripes. In shorted grass the cut is good and it lays down adequate stripes, but i need the deep defined stripes as I am doing several commercial deals and apartments complexes.

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I had this mower, it was a piece of $hit.

3. snowjeep

snowjeep LawnSite Senior Member

I have this exact mower with 150 hrs on it, so far so good. You MUST keep the deck clean and blades sharp, it is an entry level commercial. Do you have the 23hp Kawi? If the blades are sharp and deck is clean have the dealer check your rpm's. Mine has a striping roller which works good but when I was having trouble with turf tear I added a 75 pound plate on the rear frame which helped with the strips as a side effect. If everything checks out you may need to go to medium lift blades which create less drag so in theory it will bog less.

4. gatorfan903

gatorfan903 LawnSite Member

no i have the kohler engine, and where did you purchase your roller from

5. I have a 48 inch Enforcer and have experienced some of the same problems. If the sprigs of grass are really long they just lay over and the suction isn't enough to pull them up to be cut off. Kinda like if you were to be mowing a hay field with it. The long round shafts of the longer grass don't get sucked up to where the blade is.

There was an updated blade that came out for my 48 which is sharpened closer to the center hole and it does better and not leaving stuff behind than the original blade that was only sharpened for the last 4 inches of blade or so. Possibly they came out with a better blade for your 54. After seeing the new blades I used a 4 1/2" grinder to make my old blades look almost like the new ones and they do better.

From my experience, the hard round shafted vegetation is always going to give these mowers a problem. The round shaft just doesn't get sucked up by the vacuum like any flat bladed grass.. I can go from cutting a junky yard that has round shafted weeds that leaves a few sticking up to a nice yard with lush grass and the good grass gets cuts cleanly and looks great on the same blades.

My 48 will bog down some in the heavy grass and it will clump if the grass has a lot of moisture in it. I tend to think it's because of the baffles and the fact that it's a mulching deck. I pay close attention to the change in RPM of the engine when I am in heavy grass and it just makes sense to slow down a little when the RPM drops. The blade tip speed drops too and with enough drop it will start to leave grass standing up so I just slow down. Most yards don't make me have to slow down much or there might be a spot or two that is thick like that and then I can resume a fairly quick speed.

As far as striping, I have finally started to get better results after 2 years. The first thing I finally noticed was that the roller across the rear of the deck can be lowered. There are 2 sets of mounting holes in the 3 brackets on the rear of the deck. So lower those brackets to the lower mounting holes. Then make sure your tires are aired up the same and I use a digital gauge since they are the only thing that you can use to get an accurate measurement with at the low psi in most lawn tires.

Then check the level of your deck. I believe the consensus on here is that the rear of the deck should be 1/4 inch higher than the front of the deck. The rear of the deck on my 48 was much higher than that and by lowering the rear of the deck some it also lowered the roller which helped with the striping. On mine, I do have to pay more attention to scalping when turning after I lowered the rear of the deck.

That's about all I know and if anyone has some suggestions I'm open to them. I do hope to get a wider mower as soon as I can afford to do so but, I would not want to get rid of my 48 inch mower. I have some back yards that I couldn't get into if the deck on my 48 were 1/4" wider and they are not a back yards that I would want to push mow or even walk behind.

I wish I had started trying to sell some jetskis sooner this summer and I could have gotten a bigger ZTR that would lay down some beautiful stripes by now. Now it looks like I'll have to winterize those babies this weekend.

PS. I have seen some pictures of yards mowed by the Tank line of Cub's and some of those mowers lay down beautiful stripes and I wish my Enforcer could do similarly.

6. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I cut this with the Enforcer I had. I set the deck up correct, lowered the striping roller on the back of the deck and cut it at 3"
    [​IMG]

This is a different property but actually in worse condition. This one was cut with the Scag I currently have with deck set correct, no striping kit cut at 3"
    [​IMG]

This one is a nice property. I used the Scag WITH the Tiger Striper kit.
    [​IMG]

I can only hope that you have better luck with your mower. The Enforcer I bought fell apart on me after 20hrs to include eating 3 belts in the first 10hrs, fuel tank leaking, throttle cable wouldn't stay in the "high position, just to many things to list!

7. MOHUSTLER

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Trade it in....:dizzy: not trying to be so harsh. But it is a cub cadet

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Normally I would try to make any mower work that I have and not trade it or anything, but I agree with the other posts, cut your loses now before you have problems with the cub. Some guys have had good luck with their newer cubs, and some have nothing but problems.

MTD sucks, and I don't care what model, commercial or not, they skimp on just about everything to make them as cheap as possible to keep profits up. Go check out their 21 inch snow blowers and you'll see what I mean. They decided to take the metal auger out and just use the paddles to clear snow. Anything around 2 inches and it's worthless. I wonder how much money they save on each blower without the metal.

I so wish cub-cadet was still their own company and not owned by MTD. Cub used to be one of the best mowers, now it's at the bottom.

9. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

I must be a lucky one...I've had a CC TANK over 4 years now and haven't had any trouble with it.

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

^^^^ That's most likely why......