How to get bids on properties

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by dirtydbs, Dec 29, 2005.

1. dirtydbs

dirtydbs LawnSite Member

I live in an area of Florida were new restuarants, shopping centers, Convenet stores, Apartments and new neighborhoods are built everyday. My Question is how do you get to bid on those properties. Do You get ahold of them or vise versa

2. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

well, for the vice versa, explain how you are making your presence known in your area. What are you looking to do for them, maintenance or installations? What are your qualifications for commercial work? What relation do you have to builders and developers? If you can't answer all these questions, then the answer is, you can't.

3. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

For the non- vise versa answer(?) I have been making cold calls to industrial businesses in the area. I have also been making calls to real estate management companies (their signs are right in front of the property they are managing usually). I introduce myself and ask them when (not if) they will be accepting bids for turf maintenance for the following year. So far I have called 5 and have been ask to bid 2 of them. You never know if I will get either of them but it is worth the effort. On a side note, make sure you have insurance or alot of these will not have anything to do with you... and it is also just plain smart.

4. grasshawg

grasshawg LawnSite Member

A sure (and quick) route to failure is sitting back and waiting for people to call you. Get out there and make yourself known. Persistance is the key.
    Visit/call them often. Don't look at it as being a nuisance. Even if you are bothering them, they certainly won't forget you, and that's half the battle.