1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to get commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweetland, Dec 26, 2011.

1. sweetland

sweetland LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey everyone. I have been in business for a few years now and have a good customer base which is mainly residential but with a few commercial accounts mixed in. I have either inherited the commercial account or they have contacted me for an estimate but in the past when i have tried to call them or mail them anything I don't normally get a response so my question to you is, how do you go about getting commercial accounts?

Yes, i am fully aware that you have to do great work and have good people skills and all that good stuff so i don't need those kinds of answers. Im asking how you have gotten your commercial accounts and also how do you find the head of an HOA?

All answers will be appreciated, thanks in advance!
  2. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm interested in this also. All I can say is its all in who you know but that's not good enough.
  3. 7625

7625 LawnSite Member

If you ever get a good answer let me know.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion and experience I feel the best way to get in the door is to go to a commercial complex or apartment, etc., and talk to the manager and simply ask if you could be added to their yearly bidders list, this will more often then not get you the opportunity to bid in the future, Good Luck!
  5. olebrooklawn

olebrooklawn LawnSite Member

hey man you got pictures of that mower for sale? how much you asking?
  6. Mikegyver

Mikegyver LawnSite Bronze Member

Look in the pics section on my pics thread...bunch of pics there. Its going to have to be a good offer for me to get rid of it :laugh:
  7. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Honestly some commercial work isn't as good as its cracked up to be. I do mainly residential work, and find it to be less cut throat. If a customer likes your work, you end up being the only company they call period. They pay your price and appreciate your hard work. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely good commercial jobs out there. But most of them just take cheapest bid each year. The key to gaining good commercial accounts is to do good work and give a fair price.
  8. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I would have to respectfully disagree there. I have "cold called" hundreds of commercial sites like you described here, and have NEVER, I mean NEVER gotten a job or a callback, or one shred of interest by using this approach.

My commercial jobs all have come from knowing someone or being referred. My accountant turned me on to one job, I was my HOA vice president of another job, I'm in the business league with another guy who got me in front of the table to bid a job, in the Chamber of Commerce with another guy.

Most of the time, apartment managers are not the ones with any authority to select vendors or make changes to current vendors, it's all run through their corporate office in another town/state. They'll act polite and take your info/bid/card, but 9 times out of 10, they are just some poor Joe Blow sitting behind a desk with no authority to help you out.

Just my experience.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I never once said Call anyone!!! Introducing yourself and striking up the conversation is what will get you more info on who to talk to if the manager, etc. doesn't handle the vendors, I've never once had someone NOT lead me in the right direction, Just my experience.
  10. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I did not phonecall anyone, I used the term "cold call" when referring to driving around to apartments and getting out of my truck and talking to the manager.

There are better, more productive ways to meet people in actual decision making positions. Join the Chamber of Commerce, a Business League, the Rotary Club, anything but driving around trying to get people to like you enough to let you bid on their projects.

I've done it all, and for me, I will never again just pop into a site and talk to them about their landscaping. It was a waste of time for me. Your experience with this method might be different, but I don't know how.