How to get customers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Haake, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Haake

Haake LawnSite Member

I was wondering why I haven't had any luck getting customers. I've been trying to do word of mouth and haven't had any luck after a couple weeks.

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Put out 20,000 flyers. That's what I did

3. Scott@CPS

Scott@CPS LawnSite Member

"Trying to do word of mouth"

What does that mean?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I know someone who literally (I'm not making this up) does work for people who did not ask for it… then threatens them when they refuse to pay…

Seriously…been doing this for over a decade.

When they don't pay she says "well I didn't want that customer anyway"

(ummm you NEVER had them!) :laugh:

5. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Also curious about this, what are you actually doing?

6. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

LMFAO :clapping::clapping::laugh::laugh:

7. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

You have to advertise. Flyer's, local newspaper, EDDM, website.

8. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

Telepathy....

9. TuffTurfLawnCare

TuffTurfLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Tryig word of mouth? in what way? Word of mouth advertising is like a nuclear reaction. You need fissionable material (current customers) to react and create more customers. If you don't advertise to get the intitial customers, then you have no word of mouth advertising as you have no fissionable material to creat the reaction. Telling people you meet, "Hey I'm cutting grass, pass it on" wont get you any customers in a timely fashion unless you are very well connected in the locale and either you or someone your close to has alot of influence.

Word of mouth works once you get your clients. But you have to be proactive and go GET your customers. What kind of advertising have you done? What materials do you have? Do you have business cards? A facebook for the company? a web site? did you get listed with as many free sites as possible like the phone books, garden clubs, state dept of Agriculture, yahoo, google, bing, etc etc? I could put a mower in my truck and drive around, tell my friends I'm mowing lawns but that doesnt count as "trying word of mouth".

Word of mouth isnt something you try. Its a reaction to a well run business with happy customers.

10. Haake

Haake LawnSite Member

How much did it cost for 20,000 flyers? And there is only like 14,000 people in my town. I made like a dozen fliers (which I know is nowhere close to being enough) and gave them to people who are popular in the area and told them if you know anyone who needs their lawn cut to give me a call.