How to get employees to respect equipment

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DBL, Sep 1, 2006.

1. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

we just cant find anyone who doesnt gun the accelerator from stops in the trucks. run the equipment full bore shut them off still hot and just abuse them when no ones watching what do you guys do about this

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Ask them do they still want their job. I would not have anyone on my crew that didn't respect me or my equipment. I'm glad I don't have this problem. I had one guy that joined my crew and he would gun the equipment so I just pointed it out and he understood no problem. Great workers are hard to find so when you get one keep'em.

3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Very well said. It's so hard to find someone that will do what you ask plus all the other things that go into a business.

4. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto!!!!!!!

5. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Make an example of one guy by firing him. Maybe the rest of the crew will get with it if they felt their jobs were in jeopardy.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I agree about the "Great workers are hard to find so when you get one keep'em." but I think you don't just "find" them, you create them. What do you think happens when your not around? Human nature takes over with the attitude of what he don't know won't hurt him.

I'd have the crew miss a days work with out pay while maintenance is done on the equipment, or make it 2 guys one day and another 2 guys the next etc. When the workers pay is affected by the way they take care or abuse equipment is when they start paying attention. Be sure to make it clear that the added maintenance is from abuse and explain how they can avoid losing any more time off and pay

7. cuttinjoe

cuttinjoe LawnSite Member

I'll agree sometimes equipment breaks and sometimes its employee fault. But........ There are also times when preventive maintenance could have helped. Two weeks ago 1 bolt on the ZD21 seat broke. I told the boss and he says " what did ya hit?" Well this week the bolt still had not been replaced and another broke. Both back bolts that hold the seat in place are now missing. Its like driving a lazy boy around.:cool2:

Alot of blame gets put on employees heads, but its not always their fault. Some bosses lead by bad example. Mine likes to clean out the toro Z by doing wheelies and then dropping down hard on the ground. If I do this and then it breaks something am I at fault?:nono:

Make sure you lead by example.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

do what tgcl does. charge them for damage that was their fault.

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Thats actually not legal in my state.

And even if it was, I wouldn't do it.

10. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Why not?

I just don't see anything wrong with making people take responsibility for wrong actions.

Assuming you know the damage was caused by negligent or abusive behavior.

I'd definetly make them pay and then make them go through more training.

Someone said you make your employees what they are, I submit that is true, or you ALLOW them to be what they are.