how to get gas/oil mix off of black top

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeff_0, Aug 9, 2003.

1. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

i had my friend give me a hand last week and he turned over the gas/oil me. now there's a stain on my cust driveway. anyone know what to use to get it off
  2. mottster

mottster LawnSite Member

A Match? :blob2:

Sorry, i'm a pyro.
  3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Try carying a bag of cat litter in the truck. Once you pour it over the spill work it in with a push broom. Sweep it into a dustpan and take it with you. Don't blow it off into the grass unless you want to explain why the lawn is dead too! It may take a few times, and you may not get it all, but if it hasn't been too long you can get the majority of it off the blacktop. If that doesn't help pour the mix over the whole drive and blend it in. lol Just kidding!:blob2: :laugh:
  4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

If its ashphalt use a solvent
    Apply it then leave it for an hour and blast it with a presure cleaner.
  5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I do not recommend the use of any solvents on bitiminous concrete (asphalt). Solvents can damage the binding agents in asphalt possibly making the problem worse. Simple laundry detergent with water and a scrub brush will remove a good deal of the stain. If there is any stain left you can either let Mother Nature finish up the job (it takes time) or seal the asphalt.
  7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Sorry to say that where you spilled the gas will never be the same.

Blacktop is bound together with a tar compound. Tar is petroleum based. Gas and tar do not go well together.
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We think alike. :)
  9. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I got this bottle for removing stains from black top. I haven't used it yet. When I coat the driveway, I will give it a shot before. I bought it at Homedepot. It was right next to where the black top coating was.
  10. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

You right Richard
    I just talked to a mate from Shell tecnical services and I apologise for my miss information. A dish washing detergent is recomended for your stain. A degreaser mixed with the detergent would help too.