1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to get into Gated communities...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jasonlandscape, Jun 25, 2008.

1. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Hey i want to start getting into reel mowing. Thinking about getting a true cut 27" and maybe a 30" legacy. We have tried just goin to the sales offices and give them cards but hasn't realy done anything yet for us... how do u guys get into the door for reel mowing and high end accounts?

IMO i think flyers are a waste of time for trying to get high end accounts.
  2. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i dont think any kind of solicitation is appropriate in high end accounts.you do realize that when you use a reel mower you have to dethatch every six months at least.the only way i got my higher ended accounts was by referral.they are pretty snooty for the most part.about half of my accounts are on golf courses and i have had the groundskeeper at the golf course ask my customer what i used on his lawn.
  3. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

to get into gated communities just drive the truck really fast through the gate. it worked for us.

actually the people in those neighborhoods around here request walker mowers over reel mowers..........
  4. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

oh yeah i know how to maintain a reel lawn from workin for companies but now i'm doin it on my own. i'm all about spending time on the yard and hand prunning, etc. and the only people that wanna pay for that kinda service are the high end homes
  5. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

You could try going in through managment. Ask when they accept bids on the upkeep of common areas. Once in, the neighbors will see your work and word of mouth will work.