how to get into irrigation biz

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Coreyb, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

i'd like to add irrigation to our landscaping and maintenance serivces. where can i learn what i need to know? thanks
  2. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

you can get an irrigation decoder ring out of a box of captain crunch.............
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

The Colorado Springs sarcastic/bitter/angry/cynical responses continue!! Good job Tom! I wonder if it's the altitude. ;)
  4. i_plant_art

i_plant_art LawnSite Senior Member

try your local community college and also find out who the suppliers are in your area irrigation parts and find out when /if they have vendor classes and such. i never had any formal irrigation training i learned what i could out in the field doing and learning from experienced people and making my own mistakes and having to fix them.
  5. I love the comm college answers.....

While you are the comm college...take some business courses or some computer courses and stay the f away from irrigation..there I said it.

Otherwise...the school of HARD KNOCKS IS THE ONLY WAY TO LEARN IT....there will never be a school..or a book...that is all encompassing...

This is not the type of business that you can take a correspondence course and then you are ready..sorry.
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just read every post here, and you have a start. (ignore any stagnant pressure remarks and wacky manifold pictures)
  7. And brain surgery remarks....and listen only to those in the business....the irrigation business.....
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Your comm. college, and supplier will not teach you all there is to know. You might learn design ideas and limits, which would be a good idea. But you must also learn from other contractors, and by getting your hands dirty. One of the ways you learn to repair, is to repair your own screw ups on an install - valves in backwards, wired up wrong, accidentally tied 2 pipes together that shouldn't be, forgot to glue or clamp a fitting :rolleyes: , etc.

How many on this board have actually learned from college and courses on how to install and repair?
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We hired a kid last summer that was working on his LA degree from a college. He had taken a semester of irrigation. He had an almost working knowledge of hydraulics, but was absolutely useless in the field. He said they had only touched pipe 3 times the entire semester.
  10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Naw... you guys are probably snorting the pine pollen. :laugh: