1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how to get into other parts of landscaping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by contra, Mar 28, 2004.

1. contra

contra LawnSite Member

im 18 and i have a lawnmowing business with a truck/trailer, lesco 36" wb, stihl backpack blower, and a shin trimmer. i have about 15 lawns, and probably will get up to 20 this season.

so... i hear on this site about how much more profitable other aspects of landscaping are than mowing... how do i get into this? how can i get people to take me seriously and pay me what i should be getting?
  2. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring and fall cleanups rake in the most profit, and the least equipment expense. Mowing lawns (just mowing) is the least profitable job of the lawn & landscape industry. You gotta pay for gas, blades, oil, hydro oil, belts, air filters, hydro oil filters, engine oil filters, tires, blah blah blah, and little machines like backpack blowers and push blowers are less prone to breaking down, and end-user expenses are less. Less parts to fix and replace, means more profit in the end. Cleanups are labor intensive, wich means you get paid for working, not using $10,000 exmarks and such.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You can soliciate your current customers with flyers to let them know what your offering. I would start with them first and then advertise elsewhere too. Your customers will take you serious if they can see what you can do, sometimes it takes a few jobs to really get started. Show them pictures of past jobs that you have done.
  4. contra

contra LawnSite Member

thanks... k i can do mulch, erm bark uhh whatother things?

5. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

You can do PLanting, Mulch Topsoil, Seed/Sod, and can learn pavers very easily.......Go to yur local nursery talk with who ever owns teh joint and ask them to refer you to people.....Go to yur local stone yard and ask them when they will be having a course on installing pavers and walls.

6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Try doing some work at your friends, relatives houses as well as your own house, then you have some work to show even though you might be related to the people. Also as Chuck had said go to your local material dealers and ask them about getting experience, tips, and classes. Maybe even work with a nice local co. p/t and learn the ropes.
  7. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, get some education in the other kinds of landscaping you want to do.

The very first thing I recommend you do is get THIS BOOK It is awesome! Read it cover to cover and then go read it again! It covers SOOO much in one book. You'll learn step-by-step exactly how to build every kind of retaining wall. You'll learn about grading, planting, estimating, contracts, pathways, rock work, how to calculate coverage of mulch, water features, concrete work, fences and decks, etc. etc. etc.... You'll love it. It's a little slow going at first. You'll probably be a little bored with the first few chapters. But soon you'll really begin to enjoy reading it. It's an amazing book and after reading it you'll understand a lot more about so many aspects of landscaping.

Next, buy some of the Ortho or Sunset books relating to landscaping, water features, rock features and rock work, trees, lawns, plants, etc. Begin reading those.

THEN, start small and work up. Don't start with a 20,000 sq. ft. sod installation for a new customer. Start with 3,000 sq. ft. lawn install for a friend or relative. Don't start with a 100' x 4' retaining wall. Start with a 20' x 2' wall. Don't start with planting $5,000 worth of plants. Start with a small $500 plant install and see how you do - see if they survive. Learn slowly and work your way up.

Also, be sure to check with your state laws in regards to doing bigger landscaping jobs. Many states have tests or minimum experience standards before they will allow you to become licensed to do bigger landscaping jobs.