How to get large commercial accounts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bret's Lawn Care, May 2, 2005.

1. Bret's Lawn Care

Bret's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I cut about 45 residential homes and was wondering if someone could give me some advice on how the yrecieved their commercial accounts.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I see from your profile your 16. Most if not all commercial accounts wont hire you for that reason, so my advice would be to stick with residential for a few more years, till your 18 at least, then try getting some smaller commercial. If you have 45 already your doing good, so just keep up what your doing and in time they will come.

3. Bret's Lawn Care

I already cut 2 commercial acoounts a pizza place and a dentist. If i am able to get insured will they still say no?

4. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

In my area, commercials are a brutal game. They go to low bidders and man are they low.

I bid one place that I know for a fact will take 110-120 man hours during the season. I bid it at $9500. The bids rangged from the low bidder at $6900 to $ 42,000.

You never know ;)

5. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

unfortunately when its comes to insurance, the insurance agents are gonna be the 1s to say no.... they won't insure minors, either get ur rents or an older brother help you become insured by puttin the business in their name... you must be at least 18 y/o to be considered legal :waving:

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

There are a lot of commerical sites that don't care if you got insurance! There is a lot of competition for these sites but we look for sites that don't look like they are getting mowed on regular basis. Then it is all in talking yourself into a job.....after finding the right guy to talk to. Very important to ask immediately to talk to the person that makes the decision on who gets the mowing contacts. Find a time to talk to him alone.

7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

There is a good chance of it. I wasnt even thinking about ins. They are going to look at you as a "kid" and not resopnsible. For the most part that is. You can go in and introduce yourself, it wont hurt but i dont think you will have much luck. Im not putting you down or saying your not responsibe, but thats the way you may be perceived by most adults.

8. Bret's Lawn Care

Is that usually the owner or the manager?

9. Bret's Lawn Care

If i weren't rresponsible i wouldn't have 45 contracts. But could i show them that or let them contact one of my customers and ask about the quality of my work.

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

ask your best customers if they will write a letter of reference for you to show to commercial clients, most will agree if they believe in you.
    check around insurance is possible just at high risk rates.
    if prospective clients don't ask, don't mention it. but seriously try to find insurance somewhere.
    you will still need an adult to sign the contract, for you that would be an illegal contract.