How to get liscenced in va

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lamblawnscaping, Aug 11, 2001.

1. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

Can anyone give me information on getting liscenced in va. The requirements to be a pesticide business are that you have a certified commercial applicator on your payroll. In order to become a commercial applicator you are supposed to work for another company for at least a year. Obviously i am not going to do that, so is there another way any of you know of.

2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

3. sunrise

sunrise Banned

you need 40 hours of training with a cert appl. for you personal lic.
    Business lic you need tobe a commercial appl.
    you are looking at about a year to have everything in order.

4. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

Here in Richmond, J. Sargeant Reynolds College is offering a course and I understand that with the course and successful completion of the VA state test you can get your license.

Seems to be a good way for us owner/operators to get our license.

This course begins Monday 8/27/2001 at 1:00 pm.

5. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

This is erie,..I just come over to post this exact question.

If you call the extension, or Va tech, they will tell you, you have to work for a licensed applicator an dsend you a bunch of literature.

Now I talked to someone (no names here) and they said they didn't have to work for anyone else. They just took the test at DMV, but it might have changed since they did it.

And I think it's 20 hours not 40 - I'll double check.

I also have info on a correspondence course for turfgrass pest management, I'll get that info and let ya know how to contact them.

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

The next prep course in No. Va. will be held in late Nov. or early Dec. I think it will be held in Woodbridge. There are some changes to certain sections being implimented so contact with the extension service is recommended.

8. sunrise

sunrise Banned

9. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the information. I didn't expect such good imformation. Sunrise, I assume you are a certified commercial applicator. Would you possibly consider training someone.

10. sunrise

sunrise Banned

you assumed right I am
    sure I help you in you training
    e-mail me, so we can get together