How to get more business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Youngster, Apr 12, 2000.

1. Youngster

Youngster LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I'm 17 and just cutting a few yards for extra money instead of working at Mc donalds or something. I would like to get about 12-15 yards I can do weekly. I have 7 right now. I just dont know how to get the others. I've passed out over 1000 fliers around the neighborhood. Only got 2 yards. Should I keep passing them out until i get enough? Just wondering how i can get a few more yards without spending hundreds in advertising. <p>Thanks<br>Youngster<p>----------<br>Cashin' in on Others Laziness!!!!<br>
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

First thing I would do is tell your 7 customers that you need a few more lawns to mow and ask if they could tell all their friends and neighbors. You could give your customer some sort of reward for getting you more customers. <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  3. Do you have a truck?<p>Try a classified ad for a week in the daily paper.
  4. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Call up a fert company and tell them youll give them fert jobs to trade for cutting jobs . They come accross many throughout the year. The outher is advertise in local paper and make flyers to pass out. Also make a magnetic sign for 50.00 to put on your truck. Good luck
  5. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

Sounds like you and I are in the exact same situation Youngster... i only have a year on you! I am planning to pass out fliers around my hood and quote prices right on them... cheap ones too because there is literally no driving cost and if i get enough i can do them all on the same day without driving at all. Good luck man!
  6. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

I am kinda in the same boat. Only difference is that I have 2 sod jobs and 5 landscape jobs on top of 10 yards. The landscaping is where the cash is. Anyway, when the landscaping slows down in the summer I will need more yards. I think it is too late to get any more in my area. We are four weeks into the season. I am going to try and hit up the rich neighborhoods where houses have just sold. Plus I hope to get a few more landscaping referrals. OH, I hate to brag but I did one hell of a job on two sod jobs. Thanks guys. Just reading posts on sodding, and advice from you all really made me feel like I could do a great job. The hort. degree helps also. Keep up the good info. guys. I appreciate it.<br><p>----------<br>Integrated Landscape Solutions<br>Lexington, KY
  7. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

Hey Youngster I was in the same situation when i was younger,still need more work but anyway what i did when i was 12 to 17 is i went up to &quot;problem&quot; yards that needed help talked to the people and usualy got to do something,,,mowing,trimming,edging,or odd jobs just to get to know them and then the neighbors would come out or i would go to them,,and at 13 i was cutting 25 lawns a week,with my best friend helping and since it was all in my neighborhood i did it all on 1 day .......Now im 19 and think that i have a jump on my comp. just stay glued to this forum and you will learn 10 times more than through &quot;trial and error&quot;<p><br>Tim campbell<br>Clean Cut Lawn Care
  8. TPC

TPC LawnSite Member
    from florida

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Make up some tear off flyers (microsoft works) and take them to your local grocery stores, hardware stores and senior citizens centers. If you want you can also go to the churches and ask to post there but be careful with the churches if you don't want to do discount work for advertising there. Good luck.
  10. Youngster

Youngster LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the replys so far! I might try the flyers at local stores and places. I've passed out quite a few in the neighborhood and got a little business. I might also look into a sign for my truck. Thanks so far, and I'll stay glued to this forum. Ya'll seem to give people helpful info instead of a lot of BS. THanks<p>Youngster<p>----------<br>Cashin' in on Others Laziness!!!!<br>