how to get more business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nickslawn, May 18, 2007.

1. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

I have been mowing yards for for years part time. Well friday night will be my last night to work due to layoff. I will be off work for 4-5 months and I would like to add 15 to 20 yards to my mowing schedule. What can I do this time of the year to get more yards? Full time lawn service here I come. I do apppreciate any comments.

2. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

Lay out tons of fliers in nice neighborhoods. Make sure your flier is the best flier these people have ever seen. It should stand out. Your flier must be the best flier.

Go door-to-door in the late afternoon and evening and sell. Look presentable.

Drive around looking for lawns that are over-grown. Leave estimates and a personal note. Keep the price low. It's better to work for less than to not work. When you get busy you can raise your prices up for new customers.

Take advantage of rain outs. When the other busy companies can't keep up and their customers' lawns are overgrown, drop a flier and a personal note.

Do a great job so your lawns stand out. This will give you word of mouth advertising.

Good luck

3. mole

mole LawnSite Member

or you can ask other lco's if they have customers that they don't want. I did this when i frist started. you will be suprised that you will find some that have taken on too many and are willing to give some up that are out of there route. you will get some bad yards but since you don't have that many you will be able to take care of them better. I just gave a new guy three that were out of my normal day to day sched. it was hard to give the money up at first but it has made my life easier.

4. nickslawn

nickslawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys. I guess I will have to give new quotes a lower prices than I orginally would. It is better to work cheap than not work at all. I will have to talk to lawn services hear to see if they have any yards they don't want. Thanks

5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

advertise in your local paper

6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Don't quote a cheaper price just to get the work. Its harder to raise the price in the future. Ask you present customers for refurrels, offer a mowing discount on each refurrel. Do the best job you can for the customers you now have and your properties will advertize them selves.

7. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

The Phone Book Works best for me