1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How To Get More Business

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by LakeSide Lawn and Landscape, Aug 12, 2002.

1. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

HELLO GANG, I WAS WONDERING THE BEST WAY YOU HAVE FOUND TO GET NEW BUSINESS?THIS IS MY FIRST YEAR IN THE LAWN MAINTENCE FIELD,I KNOW THE SEASON IS ALMOST UP BUT ANY SUGESTIONS FOR NEXT YEAR WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANKS FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY OFFER. M&M LAWN SERVICE :dizzy:

2. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Jacob....welcome to the industry. Lots of fun, lots of hard work, lots of reward. I know that if you do a search you will have enough reading material for a year.

Telemarketing, direct mail, print advertising, yellow pages, flyers, word of mouth, door to door canvasing, volunteering your service for your community gets publicity, local mailers, church bulletins, and so much more...

Search and ye shall find....

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Honestly ask for referrals...we have been in business now for 8 years and have NEVER advertised in any way.

Your work will speak for itself.

4. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Referrals and fliers are the only advertising I've done thus far. I keep pretty busy.

Hey Rodfather, do you actually ask your customers for the referrals? I get alot of referrals but, just by my cutomers telling others. Never thought of asking them to get me referrals. I think I'll try that.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Mykster

I get a sense that people like it when I ask them for referrals. I tell them I am always looking for ways to expand our company and any help from them (new names) would be greatly appreciated. They like me asking once or twice a year.

It also shows that they are important to me as well.

6. MPhillips

MPhillips LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

I agree with the referrals...I think they have the highest close rate, and highest marging of my business. I'd like to be in a position where I only receive business through referrals.

Marketing can apparently vary a little depending on where you live and do business. I'd recommend that when you start out you try it all and try it often...based on how much money you can afford...what doesn't work one place may work like gang busters for you. Flyers, doorhangers, neighborhood newsletters, yard signs, sponsor a little league team, the coupon mailers, neighbors, family and freinds....try it all

good luck

7. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

I offer to my customers a five for ten referral break. Refer 5 people who sign on with me for one year full service, mowing weekly, mulch prune etc. and I give them a 10% break on each months bills. Been doing that for 2 years now. Haven't needed to promote myself any other way since I first was trying to get started.

8. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Agreed. Referrals are #1, and you should offer some sort of discount or free stuff.

But that requires the customer to work for you and that may or may not happen.

Don't be afraid to knock on doors and introduce yourself.
    Just keep your eye open for a good opportunity to show up.
    If there is a dull blade job, crooked stripes, no edging, ect., knock on the door and tell them who you are, and that you noticed the "problem" and to feel free to call if you need help.

If you can win them over, they will call you before anyone else.

Keep cards in your pocket all the time.

Good luck.