How to get more Christmas tips

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gene $immons, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

Show up and work at your best lawns the week of Christmas. This year Christmas falls on a Saturday, so you should be able to work up until Friday.

I would send a Christmas card to arrive around the 21st. This will keep you in their mind and encourage some holiday spirit when the customer sees you working.

Even if you are done with clean-ups, it is a good idea to go by and fire up the blower to make sure the front porch and patios are clean for the holiday.

I will rarely get a tip in the mail, usually they are given in person. So it helps to be around if you want one.

Most tips are usually around the cost of one cut. Unless you are lucky.

Good luck!

Happy Holidays!!

GO SOONERS!!!

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I find that delivering your cards or Poinsettia or what ever you give is the time that you get the tip. Yes the first few times it is awkward but you can get used to it. It is like they are paying for the stuff you are delivering. And yes it is a good time to talk business for next year. People are in good spirits and more likely to spend more. I have upgraded many of my accounts during the Christmas time. I.e. Aeration, Annuals, and Bark.

3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Nice post Gene. :)

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

hhhhmmm, sounds like a decent idea, however we are done work by then. Guess we are out of luck. We do receive a few tips thru the mail, and a few gift certificates, that's all.