How to get more HORSEPOWER?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnshark2, May 16, 2001.

1. Lawnshark2

Lawnshark2 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if there are any special little tricks or tweaks that you can do to your mower to gain more horsepower? Like with a car you could put a different exhaust system or have special air intake places to increase your horsepower. This maybe a shot in the dark but if you have any special tricks please reply back.

Thanks,
    Lawnshark2

2. In regards to 2 cycle engines, with the newer formula gasoline that are coming on line now, every blue moon clean out (wire brush) the spark arrestor in the muffler and if it is a continuous problem, replace the muffler.

With the new formulated gas, doesn't burn as hot as it use to.:blob2: 2 cycle oil doesn't burn completely and gums up the inside.

Also, on all machines, always keep a clean air filter. Especially with blowers. Dirty filter will cut horsepower also.

John

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

One other thing that can happen on a 2 cycle engine is the exhaust port can narrow up with carbon and close off enough so that it will not run at full rpm's. What I do is pull off the muffler, move the piston to the top and clean it out. I then take the air hose and blow out any that I got in the cylinder, by blowing through the spark plug hole and out the exhaust port. Put it together and it will run like new. :)

I guess you did say lawnmower. :)
    You can always drop a bigger engine on the mower you have. Have you ever been to the Garden Tractor Pulls? They have big V8 engines on them. :)

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Kohler 26 EFI!

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

TRY HIGH OCTANE GAS, COURSE EVERBODY SAYS IT DOESNT DO ANYTHING.
    TRY IT UNDER A HARD PULL AND YOU MAY SEE WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT

6. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If all else fails, go to your local racetrack and buy some of that there racin' fuel.

That ought to do it!

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, using higher octane fuel than is needed is not going to give you any more power, probably less! The only thing 89 octane and above is good for is to supress pre-ignition detonation. High octane fuel is really less flammable thus resisting detonation before the spark. It doesn't create any more power in an internal combustion engine than standard 87 octane fuel. NOW, if you are running high compression ratio's or cylinder pressures that lead to preignition, yes, high octane fuel will add more power. A spark ignited explosion is timed exactly when the piston is at TDC. A "ping" or "knock" is an explosion before the piston reaches TDC. If you are experiencing pre-ignition, you will benifit from a higher octane fuel.

In our small engine equipment, compression ratios are in the 6 to 9.5:1 range. Ignition timing is set at the factory, so there shouldnt be any ping. 87 or 89 octane is fine for these engines, after all thats what the manufacturer suggests in the owners manual.

With todays gas prices, 87 is all she gets!

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If your looking for more power on a mower-forget it,the only way to make more power requires you to rev it beyond the 36-3800 rpm's that most engines run at.I know with a little camming,milled heads,stiffer valve springs,larger carb,and freed up exhaust,a Briggs 20hp Vanguard can easily make 35hp-but it is at 4500 RPM's, and wouldnt last long in a mower at those speeds constantly.The way to make more power,repower it with a larger displacement,more powerful engine,which will deliver higher torque,and power without reliabiltiy problems.If your engine is good,sell it to someone who needs one,or keep it for a backup.Most mowers will accept a larger engine easily on the mounting plate,some bolt right up,others require a little fabrication work,but if you really want more power and want to be able to use it,bigger is better.When I do a repower,call the manufacturers of the engines you want to use,and of the engine you have,they will send you the mounting template,and crank size/lenths,and dimensions.With this info you can see if an engine will fit,before you buy it.