How to get more people?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 2tone3, Jul 5, 2006.

1. 2tone3

2tone3 LawnSite Member

Well I have been in the lawn mowing bussniess for about 5 months and I have not had to much work lately. So I was wondering what do you people think I should do to get more people?

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

What methods of advertising have you been using up to this point?

3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I have found this time of the year you will not pick up many clients. Come next spring get your name out and keep passing out flyers. In the spring book as many lawns as you can, even if you have to work long hours to keep up. Cause this time of year, everything slows down a bit and you will be glad you booked what you did in the spring.
    Getting more customers this time of year? good luck, but you can try advertising in the paper, phonebook and flyers.

4. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually sometimes advertising in fall isn't a bad idea either beings people won't want to be looking frantically for someone come next time to mow next year....

5. Firefighter1428

Firefighter1428 LawnSite Member

The Maryland. Va, DC area has been hit with alot of rain and sun over the past few weeks and the grass is growing non stop. I picked up 2 new customers this week because they cant keep up with the growth. Just keep putting out flyers, knocking on doors and do whatever you can to get your company name out there. Good luck

6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

It rained the other day, I went knocking doors, and handing out flyers... had two weekly mows and a fairly large lawn renovation within one hour..... do the legwork, get the money! dont lowball prices, just let the people know you want their business!!

7. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

^^^ I agree ^^^

8. mblackburn

mblackburn LawnSite Member

i had an idea..havent tried it yet, but let me know what you guys think.

watch real estate mls in areas you want to work and shortly after it is marked as sold mail flyer

watch rental properties in paper...after rented..same thing also might contact current owner if they are interested in one time clean up to help rent faster

do either sound like they might yeild results?

9. Lawnboy112

Lawnboy112 LawnSite Member

Try searching Flyers, print a bunch of them up and distribute.

10. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i don't know about kansas, but here i always pick up some new ones as it gets hotter. mr. 55 year old, overweight homeowner usually loses his desire to sweat his rear end off pushing his 21" mower around when its 100 degrees and 95% humidity. keep throwing fliers, placing doorhangers, etc. and you're at least trying to do something about it.
    good luck, hope this helps and makes you feel better.