How to get my site search-able

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by milsaps118, Feb 7, 2008.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

I just finished my website using Yahoo sitebuilder. I have noooo experience what so ever with site building or anything that pretains to it. I just wanted a site as another means of staying connected with my current customers. The problem I have is when I type "lawn care Champlin, MN"(that's where we are based out of), I'm no where to be found. The only way I can find it is if I type in the actual web address in the search engine or browser. It would just be nice if someone was able to search our company name (Turf Enterprise inc.) and be able to find us.

I just built and published it yesterday. Does it take some time before it is even search-able? I tried searching using Yahoo, Google, MSN. Nothing, Nada, zip......Any help would be great!:drinkup:

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

3. jhuanger629

jhuanger629 LawnSite Member

tons of stuff you can do:

I'd start by installing google analytics into your page, including as much text in your site design as possible (no text embedded in images and using alt tags).

Aggressively submit your site to directories (google, yahoo, any green/landscape sites) and do a lot of social media outreach. Nothing like bloggers linking to your site to drive traffic and recognition.

That's probably a good start, but there is tons that you can do.

4. FIREPOWER

FIREPOWER LawnSite Member
    from SW Ont

The quickest and easiest way is to submit manually to google etc...and have someone else with a site that is already ranked put a link to your site on it. That way it gets crawled for sure.

5. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

6. jhuanger629

jhuanger629 LawnSite Member

what's your site? i'll add it to our blog's blogroll

7. jrlikens

jrlikens LawnSite Member

your site needs to be SEO'd, Search Engine Optimized. That means have keyword phrases throughout your site that people will type into a search engine. If people do not know your company, what are the chances they will type your company name into a search engine or directly as a url? ZERO! but if you can make your domain name a keyword phrase, like homesinhaymarket.com (to use a real estate example), that is a term that someone would actually type into a search engine. registering with all the directories and searches engines helps a little, but more if your site is designed to help google find your site. having a blog with daily updates helps as well. Fresh content is key and other sites linking to your sites helps as well. bottom line - your site should be designed with SEO in mind.

8. FIREPOWER

FIREPOWER LawnSite Member
    from SW Ont

Once your site is linked within 2-4 days you will be google-able.

9. jrlikens

jrlikens LawnSite Member

it can actually take up to 2-4 weeks before google crawls a site.

but regardless - if the site isn't Search Engine optimized don't expect to be in close to the top pages.

add a blog to your site and add daily comments with relevant search terms/keywords in it. A google blog gets crawled faster and more frequently!

10. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Will an established site please link mine!!!