1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to get pulley's of HP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by exmarkdude, Oct 13, 2002.

1. exmarkdude

exmarkdude LawnSite Member

I am trying to change the spindle bearings in my Lazer 23K 52" HP. I can't seem to get the pulleys off. Is there some trick to it? Once I get them off does the spindle fall through the bottom or what is the proper procedure to change the bearings. Machine has 2000 hours on it btw. Thanks for any help.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thanks for the post.

I would recommend loosening the top nut but don't completely remove it to help protect the threads on the spindle haft. Then use a punch to drive the shaft out the bottom of the cutter housing and pulley assembly. You can then remove the cutter housing from the mower deck.

The bearings really need to be pressed out and pressed back in. Chances are if you use a block of wood and a hammer your going to either damage them or get them in crooked creating another failure in relatively few hours. The alternative is to replace the housing and bearings as an assembly, which is what we recommend be done during the warranty period.

If you have the no maintenance spindles don't forget that they have a 3-year warranty. The first year is for parts and labor and the second and third is for parts only.

Also don't forget to torque the top nut to the proper setting specified in your manual (80 foot pounds) or the bearing will fail in a relatively short period of time.

Please let me know if we can help with anything else.