1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to get reciver lock off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bob, Dec 28, 2003.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I couldn't get my receiver lock to unlock. I tried WD-40 and tapping the lock. I wound up breaking the key off inside. Had to use my Dewalt 20 amp 9" grinder. It took about a minute.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I've had to cut 3 of them off in the last few yrs. And it does not matter whether there cheap or good ones. I tried grease in the key holes to keep the crap out i bought the combination [tumbler kind] it doesn't matter. I would like to find one that would last 3-4 yrs. Any suggestion? They really are good at stopping thieves though so maybe its part of the design:laugh:

3. I guess we are lucky we don't have to use them.
  4. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

thats the thing about these guys. never be so sure that just because youve got somthing padlocked that it can stand up to theives. like you heard it and saw it here; less than a minute and its unlocked and your gears out the door and into thieves hands.
  5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

I drill the hole out where the pin would go (on a non locking one) large enough to put a padlock through. I squirt a little WD40 in the lock once a year and haven't had a problem yet.
  6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I've had the same problem and used the same solution, with the same type of lock... now I use a different type... hard to explain.... I'll try to post a pic soon... think I got it at AutoZone
  7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

If its a lock that doesn thave a plastic coating over it, heat it up with a small torch and then soak it down with WD-40. But dont get it cherry red, otherwise it will catch on fire.
  8. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Just a heads up for you on trailer locks.

A guy came into my local hardware store this past summer with a trailer lock split in two. You know the kind that completely covers the bottom of coupler. Well owner and I started looking at it and noticed it was a different color where it was split. Not from heat cause it was to suttle. We took it in the back put it in a vice and shot some freon on it. Then with a chisel and a hammer one wack and it split!!

The guy lost an enclosed trailer and about 12 grand in contractor tools!

So there is something else to worry about for you.
  9. tawilson1152

tawilson1152 LawnSite Member

I've lost hitches and have cut receiver locks off. Now if I need to leave the hitch on I use a short piece of chain and a padlock and pull it tight. Sometimes I use a quick link and crank it so tight you need a wrench to take it off. That discourages the toolless thieves.
  10. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

If we are leaving a trailer and truck somewhere overnight, I just take the safety chains and pull them through the holes on the truck and put locks through them. Bottom line is, if a thief wants it bad enough, it really doesn't matter what you have on it. :cool: