1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to get residential customers to sign contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WalkerMan9669, Mar 22, 2005.

1. WalkerMan9669

WalkerMan9669 LawnSite Member

Ive been maintaining a few residential accounts...and im trying to go the contract route---its nice to get paid year round. Anybody have any tips on how to pursuade them or what to say in order for them to be more in favor of a contract?
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Two Words: Maintenance Agreement! Try to make it as short as possible
  3. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Tell them there are three reasons you need a signed contract.First,the Consumer Protection Act requires customers know their pricing up front.A contract lists all pricing for the season,so this covers you.Second,banks want to know what kind of business you're doing before they will loan any money.Signed contracts allow the examiner to see how much business you have locked in for a set time.Third,insurance.Tell them in the event of something going wrong,your insurance company will be pleased to see that the customer was requesting this work be performed on their property.
    The reason THEY need a signed contract is preferential treatment by you.Contract customers get first dibs at my time.Need something done right before a party?The contract customer simply calls up,tells what they need,and they are serviced ASAP.
  4. Scottish LScape

Scottish LScape LawnSite Member

Explain it is for their safety as well as yours. Their work gets done in a timely manner. Your pocket gets money in a timely manner.
    What we do is: send out a renewal service/maintenance agreement with a cover letter. Good luck :waving:
  5. Texas Mowem

Texas Mowem LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I believe you have hit the proverbial nail on the head !
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Many of the above posts are good and make sense. But don't worry about getting them to sign a contract. Don't present it any other way. Don't make excuses. that just shows them you expect to be hasseled over it. I have form contracts that have all the information printed on them and blanks for the prices. I fill it out, review it as a way of explaining my services, then review my payment options, then tell them it is a perpetual contract that they may cancel at any time with 30 days notice. Then I ask for the sale.

People either sign contract (when presented properly) or they don't. Those that don't are usually PITA's anyway so no loss.

Just don't give them an option and you will sign plenty of contracts.