1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to get rid of a small new Bee Hive ?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Az Gardener, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

A cloud of bees just moved in under my daughters playhouse. It is a fairly small group as compared to ones I have seen before. My backyard is a bee's paradise with lots of water, flowers and big trees. I just had to have two hives removed from our office and I would prefer not to have to pay again.

Any beekeepers out there with suggestions. They just arrived and it is about sunset. They may move on in the morning but I don't know why they would. They are under the 2 X4 sub-floor of the doll house, it is too big to lift up. *trucewhiteflag* help!
  2. Az Gardener

C'mon fellas little help here, someone pretend to be a bee guy and give me some guidance. Here is what my train of thought is, they have found the proverbial garden of Eden for bees here in my yard. I see no reason they would leave unless we make their first night unpleasant. I don't want to kill them I just want them not to be under my daughters play house. They can move to my mulberry tree I and thats fine. Just away from the kids.

I can put my pancake compressor in the playhouse and it will come on and vibrate the hell out of them every 10 minutes or so. I'm afraid it might be too stressful for them and kill them. Maybe some rap music? :dizzy: That would drive me away from home. My wife thinks the first night is critical thats why the urgency.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

4. larryslawn

larryslawn LawnSite Member

go out at night and pour gas on them don't bring a light and don't light the gas. works on ground bee's
  5. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Ground Bees, honey bees, or yellow jackets ?
  6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

If they are really bees, here at least bee keepers will usually come out for free, if the bees are a honey producing bee. If they are not actually bees, if they are wasps, hornets of yellow jackets, I would wipe them out. Lesco and IFA (I think you have IFA in AZ) both sell a permethrin based wasp killer, it comes in an aerosol can, is easy to use, and fast. You can also go out in the dark and spray them out with the hose, do that a few nights in a row, and they will move on.
  7. Az Gardener

They are definitely honey honey bees and from my experience they appear to be European not Africanized. They seem fairly docile, I have had to deal with both at my office/yard so I could see them both only a few hundred feet from each other.

The Africanized bees were much more active, reminded my of the guys working at Discount tire, seemed to fly faster, turned more often, zig zagging all over the place, were kind of all over the place, If you go near the hive they dive bombed you.

The European bees were much more slow, they reminded me of city workers, not in any big hurry, they flew in big circular patterns around the hive and just didn't seem to be bothered by much.

I could be talking out my azz but that what I observed at my office.

We put some chopped up garlic under the playhouse last night at the suggestion of another post on another forum (thank you Topsites) we put the air compressor right next to the deck and turned it on at about 4:30 at 7:30 they are moving around but don't seem too effected so I put the compressor on top and tried again. Got a little more activity but not the mass exodus I am hoping for.
  8. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

if their honey bee's try to save them, were loosing our honey bee population*trucewhiteflag*
  9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

just go smack the nest down and stomp on them!!!! holy crap they are just bee's/ go find a 10 year old boy and he will have them gone in a minute flat. i know i lived for the day when i saw a big old hive hangin in a tree. first to send a rock through it won!!! i just blast em with a 12ga and #8's now.
  10. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I use Brake cleaner from the auto parts store for all small bee & wasp nest it kills them fast and the can has a good spray distance, but buy 2 cans to make sure you have enough...just my two pennies