How to get rid of bahia

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ShorterGrass, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ShorterGrass

ShorterGrass LawnSite Member

Ive been reading up on ways to get rid of Bahia. It seems like a very cumbersome task especially in yards where it has completely taken over.

Is there an easy way to get rid of it?

2. johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement LawnSite Senior Member

Look up "Manor" herbicide. I'm just beginning to experiment with it myself.

3. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Manor will smoke bahia , just make sure it is labeled for the turf you are wanting to survive, but the bahia will die.

4. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

kudos landscapepoet. winner winner chicken dinner.

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

You mention "completely". Is there any desirable species that you can work with to replace the bahia you killed out. Otherwise the thousands of bahia seeds in the ground will germinate and you will be back where you started. Realize you must do something to promote a desirable turf. It is not just a chemical application but an overall approach.

6. turfmd101

Are you sure it'sBahia? Bahia ( Pensacola) the variety which seed heads, usually does not take over for the seeds are not viable. Nothing to pollinate them to make them fertile. You have to apply bahia seed purchased to increase Bahia density. Female produce seed. No male to pollinate. Now I'm speaking of Fl, maby there is a species I'm unfamiliar with besides Argentine or Pensacola bahia. Someone let me know.

7. turfmd101

Are you sure it's Bahia? Bahia ( Pensacola) the variety which seed heads, usually does not take over for the seeds are not viable. Nothing to pollinate them to make them fertile. You have to apply bahia seed purchased to increase Bahia density. Female produce seed. No male to pollinate. Now I'm speaking of Fl, maby there is a species I'm unfamiliar with besides Argentine or Pensacola bahia. Someone let me know.

8. turfmd101

Are you sure it's Bahia? Bahia ( Pensacola) the variety which seed heads, usually does not take over for the seeds are not viable. Nothing to pollinate them to make them fertile. You have to apply bahia seed purchased to increase Bahia density. Female produce seed. No male to pollinate. Now I'm speaking of Fl, maby there is a species I'm unfamiliar with besides Argentine or Pensacola bahia. Someone let me know.

9. turfmd101

Stupid Mobil device. Sorry for multiple post of same.

10. grassrat

grassrat LawnSite Member

Drive 2 apps