How to get rid of fescue in Zoysia lawn?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GREENITUP, Mar 20, 2007.

1. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

About 99% of the lawns in my area are fescue (or at least the ones I treat). I was asked yesterday if I could spray something to eliminate the fescue (and a few more broadleafs) from a Zoysia lawn? I would guess it will start to come out of dormancy here in about 4-5 weeks. Do any of you warm season guys have a recommendation for this? I am very leery of glyphosate this close to summer. Thanks for any insight. :confused:

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Greenitup

I am not going to say this works because I don't have Fescue in my area. But I will suggest MSMA if you can get a hold of some. Reading the label says nothing about Fescue as a controlled weed. It also says nothing about Fescue as being tolorent of MSMA either. So that is my 2 cent and maybe someone who deals with Fescue can correct my answer.

3. kappa915

kappa915 LawnSite Member

Revolver, by Bayer. Expensive but effective. Especially as temperatures warm.

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Msma is tolerant on tall fescue and turf type. If you read the label on trimec plus, (AI MSMA) that won't work
    -Jay

5. brizine

brizine LawnSite Member

I second revolver, its fescues silver bullet, make sure and double check the label to make sure its safe on zoysia.

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Could you spray the fescue with round-up before the zoysia comes out of dormancy?

7. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Spraying glyphosate on dormant zoysia is way more risky than spraying glyphosate on dormant bermuda. No label allows for a glyphosate application on zoysia.
    Certainty is a relative of Revolver that you may want to consider. Certainty is also good on sedges.

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld6QJ003.pdf

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

10. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member