1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to get rid of grasshoppers over a 2ac yard?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Shoefly, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Shoefly

Shoefly LawnSite Member

My father, who just moved onto 2 acres in N. Texas, has a grasshopper problem. Thousands of these things are all over the yard. I've searched w/o luck on google, but haven't seen any solutions for large areas like an entire yard. Figured this would be the place to look.

Also, he's very happy with his Stihl trimmer and chainsaw that was previously recommended on here.
  2. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Chickens will work best, plus he will get free eggs for breakfast!
  3. Mic_bug

Mic_bug LawnSite Member
    from N.B. MI

short grass.
  4. jvandy

jvandy LawnSite Member
    from texas

You should be able to contact any knowledgable pest control agent in the area. Out by my father-n-laws place they pay a guy to spray several times a year. He guarantees no grasshoppers with 50ft of the house.
  5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

turf ranger worked for us. Granular and spread it with a spredder. Takes care of fleas and ticks.

Im not an exterminator.. This is only what I use and it works for us. Im not telling you to do this but we got it at the farm and feed store. We initially had a flea and tick prob over 3 acres. Its taken care of the fireants.. fleas... ticks.. grubs...grasshoppers... lizards ect quite well
  6. Rob.C

Rob.C LawnSite Member

cross check plus applied at 1/2 oz to .75 oz per gallon
  7. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

A true Texan would use a 410 shotgun...
  8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

No wonder texans have no grass :hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  9. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I prefer my 28!! I took my son out for some clay pigeons. Now mind he is a young lawyer, grew up around guns although I did not do much shotgunning, and he thought I was hitting a lot of grasshoppers( wads flying off to side) I had a good laugh at his expense on this>