1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How to get rid of Moles quickly?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by growitmowitlawncare, Mar 30, 2008.

1. growitmowitlawncare

growitmowitlawncare LawnSite Member

What is a good way to get rid of moles. They are all over a couple properties and I need to get rid of them.
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

TALPARID is the only product that works!
  3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had good results with Talparid. Except during the winter months it doesn't seem to work as well as during the spring and summer.
  4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I found out last spring that it doesn't work well until the soil temps are up!

I started last year in March and had a horrible time. Then in April it was like someone flipped a switch and it worked awesome again!

I am waiting this year until April 15th or later depending on the weather.

Already have a ton of jobs and people get pissy with me when I tell them I am going to wait!

I am not wasting my gas and bait like I did last year so they are just going to have to wait!

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

They are tricky! Just watching the runs & not doing anything, you will realize that they may be very active near the surface & then go through a period where they seem to go away. I think alot of people attribute these periods of "down time" to Talpirid, if it has been used. I have had great luck with Talpirid, but just don't expect too much from it. The mole still has to injest it for it to work. It's time consuming to check runs for activity, go back & bait, and return & check. Make sure to charge $$$ for all of this. Also make sure customer doesn't expect too much-You don't want to charge them $200 & have them think you are going to keep them mole free for a long period of time. :dizzy:
  6. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

LAND MINES!!!!.....or Talpirid.
  7. green_mark

green_mark LawnSite Senior Member

Blistering Defense - all organic. Spray it on at 1 quart per 10,000 and it causes extreme intestinal discomfort.

Works fast and very well.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Talpirid is my product of choice. Tomcat makes a similar worm shaped mole bait for garden stores and garden departments. Although i have also used "Mole Patrol" bait ) less expensive).

Also the Nash double noose mole trap works well. I caught 5 at my house last year. Need strong hands to set it. One of my customers claims to have caught eleven in one season. The Victor straight down spear-trap is fairly effective and easier to set. The professional mole trappers mostly use the old bear claw trap, (which only costs about 6 dollars). The great thing about the traps is that you can charge about 50 dollars per carcass. And if you can sew--you can make some great earmuffs! LOL!
  9. progressivelawncare

progressivelawncare LawnSite Member

in north Carolina it's illegal to kill moles i don't know why but i have to treat for grubs which is why the moles are there. get rid of those and the moles will leave. in neighboring states it is perfectly legal to kill the moles, like Tennessee.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana