How to get rid of Moss/Algae in Creek?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bderks, May 11, 2005.

1. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

I have a small creek, actually a brook, running through my back yard that gets overgrown with moss/algae. It stays pretty stagnant most of the time, except when we have a good rain, which tends to wash all the moss out, but it returns in a week. Looks pretty nasty. Is there anything I can do to prohibit it's growth? A neighbor told me to just dump some Roundup in there, but that sounds like a pretty dumb idea to me. See the attached pics.

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Its also illegal to dump/use RoundUp in a stream. Ask a waterways person, my guess is there are too many nutrients getting into the water.
  3. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

You should be able to go to your local feed store or independent garden center and find a product called Cutrine Plus. It will knock that stuff down in no time and is labeled exactly for algae. We have a 4 acre lake in our subdivision and it was covered just like your picture. After 2 applications it is history. Now when we see some coming back, a quick spray and it is gone.
    Good Luck
  4. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

If the waterway crosses several properties, you will need permission from the riparian owners. You will also be required to fill out the necessary permits from the govt. along with the b.s. reports that go along with it. VERY steep fines for this. Hire out a company that specializes in Aquatic Weed management. I got out of that part of my business because of the hassle...