How to get rid of Zoisia?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jeffclc, Mar 30, 2000.

1. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

I talked with a customer that has a very nice bluegrass/ryegrass lawn that is being overtaken by zoisia grass in patches. He has a few patches, 4'x4' that are very noticable, and some others that are only visible upon close inspection. The problem is that we don't know where all the tiny patches of zosia are.<p>He would like to completely rid the lawn of the zoisia grass. What is the best way to do this? I was thinking along the lines of roundup over the whole infected area, then re-seed. He also thinks that we should perhaps physcally remove the larger patches of zoisia by digging them out with a shovel, and filling the depressions with some topsoil. <p>So, what would be the best way to completely rid the lawn of the zoisia? Do we need to go in with a sod cutter, and start from scratch, or can we kill off all the existing turf, and overseed? <p>BTW I believe that the zoisia came from a neighboring lawn, down over a slight hill.

2. Roundup and slit seeded is the way to go.<p>But to kill that Zoisia a warm season species<br>you have to wait until it's activily growing <br>which will be sometime in June.

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeff, is your lawn in full sun, or is it partial sun or shady? Is it immediately adjacent to the zoyzia lawn?<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<br>

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Its zoysia I think :)

5. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Let me sleep Charles :) ZZZZZZZzzzzzz(s)<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana<p><p>

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Around here its disparagingly known as Korean Crabgrass...<p>Bill

7. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not a grass expert, but I replaced a patch of zoysia once and ended up tilling the whole spot up (was only like 5 by 5), then put some top and reseeded. I raked out all of the dead material first though.<p>It came in nice, but I did it in the spring before it started to grow again. <p>As for roundup only, Im not sure. That stuff has such a mat like root system. I'm not sure if roundup will even completely kill it. <p>If I was to do it again, I would probably use round up, then till the area after it died, then rake out as much dead material as possible, and then top and reseed. <p>I kind of think of it like packysandra. You can spray the hell out of it, but it seems to come back. I would want to get as much of the root system out as possible to minimize any regrowth.<p>

8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Zoysia is next to impossiable to get rid of. The roots go very deep and they are hard like wire. You can replace the top 6-8&quot; of soil and in a few years it will be back.

9. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

being from the North like Larry you have to wait to the grass is actively growing before you do anything. I would wait to late July and then start. Use straight Roundup Pro at 2oz per gallon with Tracker Dye(to see what you sprayed)Spray the entire lawn in two directions, wait two weeks do the same thing, wait two more weeks, spot spray any remaing volenteers and slit seed, aerate heavy. Word of caution! Because of the exstensive root system you might kill some of the adjancent property owners grass even though you didn't go into their yards

10. Fireball are you located in Luzerne county?