How to get spring in cage-Echo

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Aug 27, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody got an easy way to get the spring in the cage? I haven't bought one for so long so I don't have one of the cages that come with a new spring.

20130827_161527.jpg

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Ed...the tang is broken off the end of that spring...

I never found an easy way to rewind those springs...
    I just use my kung fu grip and rewind them...when the spring gets wound small enuf...
    I just grab the spring with a pair of needlenose pliers and install it..

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Slapper, it appears we both attended the same school, The School of Practical Innovation.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The springs aren't as tough as they used to be....
    I remember cutting myself a few times trying to wind the springs tight enough...
    I slipped once and had a spring coil itself all the way up my arm....:hammerhead:
    That's when I learned about the KungFu grip....
    If the spring tries to slip out of your hand......throw it clear....and start winding it again..

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is pretty much what I do......tangs are still there even though it
    looks like they are gone. I think the enclosure has worn since the spring
    came up around the white pulley for the rope. I should just give up on this
    one and put one of the other used assemblies I took off at dealer. But it
    is fun sometimes trying to figure out why something fails.

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

That don't look like fun to me.........

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

First thing to do is look up the price of a recoil assembly. Depending on that, make the next move accordingly.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

It cost $36 and the spring by itself is $12. Keep in mind I took 5 blowers from dealer junk pile and got em in service. Would you but money in this kind of unit? Sadly my labor cost is real low:laugh:

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I admit I failed numerous times [hours] at this process before succeeding...finally. The other problem is getting the spring wound too tightly so when the cord is pulled the spring breaks.

It's easier than a Rubik's Cube but I don't recommend fiddling with it when you're pressed for time. I don't remember exactly how I did it but pure tenacity and persistence is needed. :)

Buy a complete assembly to save time. Buy just the spring if you're up for a challenge.

10. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

People love going about that the hard way.

First step is to remove the pull chord from the pully.

Wind spring and pulley togeter. (Not tight, just small enough to fit the opening)

Once the pulley and spring are in the housing, rotate it to tighten. Easier than trying to work with a spring under more tension

Once tight, turn the pulley to where the hole for the cord and the hole in the housing line up

Lightly clamp pully in place with some sort of clamp. ( Irwin quick clamps work great. Also, deep Vicegripse will work)

Drink Dr. pepper

Reinsert the pull chord. A new piece of cord makes a lot of sense at this point.

Tie knot once inserted through the housing and pulley. A "just in case" knot wouldn't hurt on the other end.

While pulling cord tight, release the clamp and let the spring slowly wind the cord to the desired length.

Re-apply clamp to free up hands and Install handle on cord.

If applicable,Bend tabs that keep pully in housing. If the housing doesn't have tabs like the "Briggs" do, a long zip tie will work to hold eveything together untill

Remove clamp and Put case back on.

Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes