How to get spring in cage-Echo

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Aug 27, 2013.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

You do know we are talking about springs in trimmer and backpack blowers...right..???
    Sounds like you described a 2 hp briggs sideshaft....????
  2. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

Yes, and Out of the few I've repaired, that is how I did it
  3. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

You can also drive a screw or nail in to your work bench and use the nail to hold the hook part of the spring.

Press the pully down on the bench and wind it tight.

Once tight, sinch a zip tie around it.

Pull nail from bench or cut the head off of it.

Cut excess off of zip tie and place in housing. Once in the housing, cut zip tie or press on the out side of the spring with a flat blade screw drive while pulling the zip tie off, but keep pressure on the spring so it doesn't pop out.

Shouldn't take more than a few minutes once you get the method down
  4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Whattayathink Dutch.????.......
    Sounds a bit like to see the video.....

I Dutch...have rewound hundreds and hundreds of springs...
    Its just part of the job.....I never relax until the spring is installed and properly tensioned...
    Wear safety glasses....loaded springs can hurt you if you don't respect them..........they are sneaky...
  5. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

This guy does it sligtly different than I do, but its close enough. It really is that simple.

Gotta think, How do they assemble these at the factory? Blowers would Be 1500$ if there was 2 hours of labor loading a recoil.

You can also use a piston ring tool to install it, but the tool has to be modified for the "hook". I've found zip ties to be the easiest.

They are great for Briggs valves too.
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Ding. Ding. I am ready to declare a winner M&L. Just three improvements. Use finishing nail, longer plastic strap, and use needle nose to grab it so can cut plastic away before putting it in place. Oh, and thread strap into clinching device before you start. Needle nose idea from slapper makes it real easy.

And if yo ever buy a spring be sure to keep the metal thingee that holds the spring. you can use it instead of the strap.
  7. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

after reading this and having never attempted this i wanna try my hand at one. just kidding, wanted to say thanks for posting good detailed ways to do the fix and get it done. have one here that's messed up and might need this fix.
  8. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I would never criticize anyone's desire to make the job easier--but "easy" resides in the mind of the guy doing the job. Hand size/finger strength and a pair of needle nose works for me--like Slapper sez, once you've done as many we have, it becomes second nature. Messing with nails, zip strips, etc, just adds additional complications to a simple job.
  9. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

Glad youy found that to be of some use. Keep saving money doing your own repairs (if you have more time than work), and it will make a big difference at the end of the year. Plus its nice to be able to get things back up and running as soon as parts are available instead of when a shop can get to it.
  10. sharkey

sharkey LawnSite Member
    from Pa