How to get spring in cage-Echo

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Aug 27, 2013.

1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

F that, for $12 I already bought a new spring and if there isn't some kind of way to slip it in there whole and wound, the whole thing's about to go in the garbage.

Oh yeah, more Mafia tools.

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Its not Mafia..... Don Flippin Corlee Birdbrain.....Its CosaNostra....:gunsfirin
    Don't forget it....:hammerhead:

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I like nice shinny tools...unless I can make my own. These are old recoil starters and a recoil pulley that I cut down to the thickness of the spring and cut a notch out for a pair of needle noise pliers. Works for me......

Spring Tools.jpg

ericg likes this.
  4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Nice tools Breeze....you can always spraypaint them silver.....

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

These work as good as those expensive tools:waving:

6. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

great thread and some nice tools mentioned but got maybe a stupid question, to me it isn't at least and it's on the tang part mention. in picture it's mentioned it's broken off but is this part replaceable and if so does it clip in the cage somehow once the spring is rewound? idk, never had one of these things apart and not sure how this mechanism connects together once rewound. btw-apologies to ya ed for jumping in your thread about this, was really wondering bout this, thanks

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  7. andy35321

andy35321 LawnSite Member
    from georgia

I just use pulley that's on trimmer I'm fixing and wind pulley with spring in a cupped hand spring dangling. Gets it tight then turn over still holding everything and grab spring with needle nose vise grips. I ain't strong like piston slapper and the others.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

trying to figure out what that tang thing is other night, saw a video of someone using a drill to wind it. worked pretty good for him, made it look easy.