How to get started?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CHILD_OF_BODOM, Jan 30, 2006.

1. CHILD_OF_BODOM

CHILD_OF_BODOM LawnSite Member

Hello i am new to the forum and want to start mowing lawns. The neighbor hood i live in doesnt have the greatest of lawns but there are some decent ones plus live near woods and in the fall get lots of leaves. I plan on marking flyiers and pass them out put on telephone pole put in mail boxs tha tsort of thing. I did delivery the newspaper (which i hated) and know most of the people on my street some it should be easy to get aleast one customer. I will charge $20 per lawn. All I have is a 22" push mower w/ bag, Cub cadet trimmer, rakes, and shovels. Will this get me started? I will buy a backpack blower either echo or stihl. Also what brand of lawn tractors are good and reliabily. I am looking a Cub Cadet for the lawn tractor. So please help i dont want to work at shaws making a dollar an hour. PLease HELP:cry:

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

you cant put them in mail boxes, its against the law.... and most places you cant put them on telephone polls either, just deliver them door to door and introduce yourself...

if you only doing a couple of lawns just use what you have.... no lawn tractors will hold up to commercial use, but if your just doing a couple...????:)

no offense but stay in school, your spelling and grammar need some attention....

3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The first thing that jumped out at me was putting fliers in mail boxes. As far as I know, that's a federal offense to put things in other people's mailboxes. I wouldn't do that if I were you. Paper boxes maybe...but just put them on people's door or even ring their doorbell and talk to them. If I had a flier in my door, most likely I would throw it out. If I had a young man actually talk to me in a professional manner and explain to me his services, I would be more apt to agree to his services. Also, those that you talk to, just don't inquire about their own personal lawn service, ask about others they know that might be in need of such a service.

Now, about your business. A 22" mower is a fine start for a 16 year old who doesn't have many accounts. $20 a lawn seems like it could be a little low, but I don't know the size of properties you're talking about. Just make sure you don't under charge. Sounds like you could make a killing with fall cleanups in your area. I would market that service extensively in the late summer and early fall. As far as a good residential rider, I don't think any will hold up to the abuse of commercial use. However, if you only have a few lawns, I can't see spending the money. I would use my 22" until I saved up enough to buy a commercial mower, new or used.

Hope this helps...

4. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Brendan, whats up,
    Fist your gunna need, a gator

5. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Dude, i wouldnt start with a lawn tractor, start looking in the want ad for a 32'', or 36'' walkbehind that ought to get you started.

6. daveintoledo

maybe try and come up with ideas that havent already been given????
    :)

7. jtkplc

Or maybe when I started my post you hadn't responded and when I was done you had...:waving:

But you know, I just like reading other people's replys and copying what they say to make myself sound cool...

8. daveintoledo

i re read what i wrote, and it didnt sound the way i ment it..
    :blush:

you usually have alot of good things to say..... and i just ment it didnt sound like one of your typical responses... sorry again... really wasnt being a wise guy... it just sounded wrong :)

9. jtkplc

hmm, so not only do I copy what others say, now my reply didn't have anything good to say, you're really digging yourself a big hole!!! j.k

10. daveintoledo

you know what i ment hahahahhh it was all complimentary...:)