How to get strait lines for never trimmed hedge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLS1, Jul 11, 2004.

1. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I need to trim a customers 60' long hedge that is maybe 2-1/2' wide and 4' tall but never trimmed in the past. I am trying to determine best way to get a straight level top and sides.

I am thinking using stakes at each end of the hedge and run a string line on each side of the hedge length wise attached to the stakes. Then cut above the string lines to get a straight level top for the hedges.

Basically do the same type of setup to cut the sides.

You got any other ideas.

2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Start with the low spots, and trim everything to match? Thats what I do, your idea sounds good,though. I often stop and take a second to step back and look from a different perspective, to make sure I'm on target with my finished goal..

3. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

What Tex said.

I usually trim everything to the lowest point of the existing hedge and just eyeball it as I go...

Your way sounds good tho, if a bit cumbersome.

4. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Use the string. Much straighter than the eye. Pluss, the lower spots might be too low for the high spots.

Remember to slightly slant the sides in, so the bottom dosn't die out.

5. DLS1

Thanks. I will go with the string line idea unless someone has another idea.

6. Yard Perfect

Yard Perfect LawnSite Member

Be careful with the string idea - I think the eye is better because one needs to determine whether you want to follow the contours or the slope of the land or the eye - level is not necessarily the best. Also the string can sag and then what - trust yourself and then constantly check your status while trimming.

7. DLS1

Good points. The ground is flat so no slopes. I will also have one or two stakes between the end stakes and use a level on the strings. My final cutting will be by sight. The string idea is just to get a starting point for trimming.