1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

How to get the drawing to scale on the ground

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jgrand, Jul 10, 2013.

1. jgrand

jgrand LawnSite Member

What is the best approach to getting the curves on the drawing paper properly scaled at the project site. Obviously with a square or rectangle it is easy to pull a tape and fine the corners but I am having trouble relaying the measurements on paper to the project area. Anyone have any tips?

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Radiuses

Your drawing should tell you the radius and the location of the center point
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly. I attached the layout drawing for one of last year's projects. If you do it this way (especially if you're working in a CAD program) if you're really bored one February day you can pull up the Google Maps satellite imagery and check that it overlays the drawing perfectly.

Attached Files:

4. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I use realtime landscaper pro, with the grid on its pretty easy to measure around. I tell people theyre natural curves. The drawing is a sales tool, and not a hard blueprint.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

One method is to draw a line on the plan that you can easily re-create in the field (ie, a parallel line running 10' off of a building wall). Then draw perpendicular lines perpendicular to that line every so many feet in the drawing. Measure the length of each. Put a hundred foot tape on that line in the field and measure off of it accordingly.