How to get the pulley off the spindle, SCAG36WB?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JayC, Mar 31, 2005.

1. JayC

JayC LawnSite Member

I removed the blades, and removed the (4) 1/2" nut/bolts that hold the spindle to the deck. Then I removed (2) 1/2" bolts that hold a hub onto the pulley. I just don't see what to do next. I can't get the pulley to slide off the spindle. How do you get it off? I see the spindle has like a slot the the pulley and hub slide into going onto the spindle, but it seems all locked on there. Do I bang it off with a rubber mallet?

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

Jay

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure about this but that hub that had the two bolts in it has to come up. Doesn't it have threaded holes (seperate from the holes that you took the bolts out of) that can be used with a puller?

3. JayC

JayC LawnSite Member

I think you have the answer. Thank you so much for the reply. I have a pictuire of the pulley, but the server is too busy to upload it right now.

Yes it has two smaller thredded holes next to the (2) 1/2" bolts. Where can I get a puller? Can I make something to mimic one?
    I assume it's something that allows me to screw two bolts into those other holes and then pry that hub up.

Thanks again,

Jay

pulley.JPG

4. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

i hope this is what you need

March 31, 2005 (2).jpg

5. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Loosen-up the 2 bolts, remove them and then p;ut them into the 2 other holes. Tighten then down evenly and slowly. That frees the center from the outside. The center is sort of shaped like a cone. When the center is tightened to the pulley, they are "locked" in place. When re-assemling: use a spacer under the outer pulley to "distance" the pulley up off of the deck correctly, so that the belt is on an "even" or "level" ride across the deck. A solid chunk of metal with the right height will do. Then lightly tap the center cone down to the point that the 2 bolts (in the correct holes) will finish off the job. BE CAREFUL when tightening, they usually are only grade 5 bolts, and they are small. Put some NEVER SEIZE between the inside of the pulley and the outside of the cone. Things will go easier that way next time.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Learning something new each day Jim, so you use the screws in the threaded holes to force the hub up? I used a puller to get the hub out.

7. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

My first time was with a Toyota, the rear brake drums. It is set-up with the same principle. Then I did it with a Snapper 48" w/b. Took all of them apart at one time or another. My father used to say "Learn something NEW every day".

8. JayC

JayC LawnSite Member

I'll give it a shot today. Thanks so much for the directions. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it turned out.

Thanks again,

Jay

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, thats pretty neet, a built in puller, I figured you would have to buy a puller to get that pulley off

10. JayC

JayC LawnSite Member

I just want to say thanks again. I followed the directions posted above and it was simple. Thank you for all the support, and I too learned something new today.