how to get the road stone from the winter out of turf

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Monroe74, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Monroe74

Monroe74 LawnSite Senior Member

With so many municipalities using more stone with their salt this year. I was just curious how everyone else removed the stone from the properties that they service. I used a backpack blower but is there a more efficient way?

2. Ditta&Sons

Ditta&Sons LawnSite Bronze Member

blower and raking is the only way I know of

3. walkerway

walkerway LawnSite Member

Rotory brush attachment for your stihl komi unit. Works great.

4. kgs1

kgs1 LawnSite Member

I have the same problem where I'm at with the county trucks throwing so much sand in with the salt. I havent got one yet but am looking into buying a used bunker rake from a golf course. The three wheeled ones with a small blade in front, and a spring tine dethatcher style rake mounted on the belly and in back of it a series of brooms. I think it will work good. I have a mix of sand/heavy sand/ small rocks and even clumps of sod on some parts of the roadsides. I've been doing it with hand tools/blowers etc, and occasionally dragging an old bed spring behind a quad or mower.

5. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

This is what I've always done. You need the rubber flap type, not the bristle brush type though.

6. Monroe74

I thought about the Brush attachment, does it take a lot of the turf with it or is it minimal?

7. 35DollarLawns

35DollarLawns LawnSite Senior Member

What size blower are you using? Our 580's will Handel all but deep grass with gravel, we blow crusher run(driveway) gravel out of lawns all the time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Monroe74

I'm using an echo 755t don't get me wrong it did the job but it seamed to take a very long time.

9. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

10. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I have this problem around baseball field infields and basepaths. The rubber rotary broom works well. More often, I use water: a hose and fireman type nozzle. Even slightly up hill I am able to move infield dirt with small gravel back where it belongs. Another idea is a good shop vac.