how to get the stip mall properties

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bettergrass, Nov 10, 2004.

1. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

in my area where there is alot of these strip malls that have a 15 wide band of grass that goes all along the main road these malls come off of. Well they all are lined with some sort of bushes, other plants and mulch.... so I'm really interested in bidding on one of these properties. The problem is that i have no clue who to contact about placing a bid. they are most likely run by some sort of association in less one of the stores there takes the responsibility or something like that. Do any of you know how to go about getting the info for bidding on these. Around me its like a monopoly for all the huge companies like Brickman and Groundmasters to do these.

2. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

There is no magical way to get a bid in on these properties. Most are run by a management company ect. They send out bid packages to companies each year and generally don't take unsolicited bids. You have to get into commercial work slowly, usually by doing a few mom & pop businesses and getting your name out. After awhile they will come. Most property managers generally go through the yellow pages or by word of mouth.

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If there is an empty place, call the # to rent it, if there is one. Otherwise inquire at a business there about the owner or management company. And dont do anything without payment in advance or a legal contract.

4. bettergrass

ive scene that before about not doing work before payment or contract for commercials....i would think commercials would be the easiest to deal with rather than residentials. Have you guys had bad expieriences with this or something

i would like to add i do do contracts with my residentials but not to intense...they basically sign and intial on the proposal that they will pay when the invoice comes....

also that is exactly what im trying to do with the mom and pop jobs around my area.....For instance a residential i do in my area the guy i cut for happends to own a mid size promotion company and he came up to me with his card and said i should call this number and place a bid on there lot....well i got them and some of the lots around them....also places like wendy's and some banks

5. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Only persons who are 18 years of age can legally sign any type of contract.

6. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I serviced a guy that called me through the local newspaper, he was happy with our work and refered us to his buddy who is a developer!

How I got my strip malls was through a developer.. We serviced his house, his wife was very happy... he then said, come on down to this mall and do the general cleanup and everyting else.. I was like COOL! I never had a commercial property before until this!

Just do good work and it will come!

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Follow this advise that lawnman_scott gave.

8. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You can't get them because at 16 years old you can't sign a contract. Plus no property manager is going to give that work to a 16 year old, sorry.

9. bettergrass

well thats understandable but the buisness name and everything is under my dad so he does that stuff for me thats how i got the places i have