1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How To Get Year round contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Firstclasslawn, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Could someone please be so kind as to explain to me how I go about signing customers up on year round contracts and also how I go about explaining it to them so that they do not get scared off by the contract, thank you and also I need to know how to estimate it or pro-rate it thanks alot guys
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Our year rounds are all-inclusive. Mulch/weed control/pruning/mowing/irrigation maintenance/etc....

Not really hard to sell a contract like this. Just ask the customer "Do you want your property to look nice year round or just during the growing season?" Also saves them money on spring clean up as you are servicing the account year round.
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Avery has a good point. But some people are too cheap or like to do the "more exciting parts" to go that route.

I don't offer anything but yearly contracts. I walk the property with the client. Talking to them about what they want. Building trust.
    Then I fill out my estimate form. Then I review it for them. I cover what I do, how often (all written on the contract), what I don't do for this price, their options for added services. THEN I offer them the choice of their monthly payment being due on the 1st or the 15th of every month.

My usual protest is what if I decide to quit before a year. My response. You will notice right here it says that you may stop service at any time for any reason with a 30 day written notice.
    Then I give them the example of selling the house. Of course you wouldn't pay me once the new owners have the house, but you would know that someone is buying at least 30 days before closing so that should be easy, right.

Then they sign up.
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Same thing here as Precision, except I have to include snowfall.

It's not that hard being solo, since I base my rates on (18) 3" snowfalls, and if I for some reason go over, or say, have 5 days in 10 that I have to plow, I don't blow my budget out of the water with too much overhead in wages, I'm just out the extra diesel fuel.

It's nice the months where we don't get any snow.

2 years ago I had 3 months in a row where it didn't snow, yet I still got all my checks.

I tell people if they want the snow plowed, or grass cut exactly when they want it done, they're going to have to support me. I'm basically a personal gardener for 38 commercial accounts.
  5. Firstclasslawn

Ok so now someone please tell me---Here is an example ( I have a customer who pays $45.00 per week) so how would I pro-rate that or figure that into a year round contract ? would he pay $45.00 a week in january also or how does that work---and thanks guys
  6. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Firstclass, I think it depends a LOT on the demographics of your area. At least in my area, I find very few folks who want a "year round service" I've got one customer so far to sign up for " the whole package " After lots of trial and error, It semms to me ( at least partially ) that the average homeowner around here just want's the grass cut, and not much more. Until I can move, I'm just planning to market other services during the winter time... Hope fully, soon, i will me expanding into some much more promissing areas, with LOTS of new homes being built.. the majority of which are irrigated as well!!
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm sure they will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that most LCO's here ( on a contract program ) are charging the customer on a monthly cycle, and charging the same amount Jan-Dec making up the difference in "labor?" by doing shrubs, leaf removal, and in the case of the Northerners, Snow plowing.. That way they are getting year round income. So far, very few folks have gone for that ploy locally, hence one of the many reason's I NEED to move to a more lucrative market....:)
  8. Firstclasslawn

Well I will tell you that I know a guy named shane farrar with shanes lawn inc that has all his customers on year round but we do not speak so he would not tell me jack crap----so I know its possible, I just need to know all the specs on how to do it and how to charge/ or calculate it
  9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

$45 x cuts per year / 12 months

$45 x cuts per year + hedge trimming + fert + mulch / 12 months
  10. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

Well I think year-round contracts sound neat because you get paid every month but....really......you're not getting paid even one dime more. Just learn to save as much as you can in the growing months. It will all work out the same in the end....and save you alot of headaches.